Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compare AVG and Avast Free

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterRacker

Oct 13, 1999
US
Has anyone used both the free versions of these? I have been using AVG Free for years, however I would be interested in how Avast Free compares.

(It is interesting to note that AVG does not have an "ICSA Certified" graphic on its' page. As a side question, how much does that certification mean?)

[sub]Jeff
[purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day

"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/sub]

Well as in my opinion they both have there points. avg scans alot faster however avast I believe finds more viruses. As for icsa certification ill let someone else answer that as I dont know anything on it. Another program you might want to check out is ewido.

AVG does have the certs, but doesn't look like the Free edition has. Do a search on their site for ICSA Certified

Stu..

As a rule, you get what you pay for. AVG is pretty good, but it depends on what support you require in terms of updates etc.

Stu..

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

Here is the website to see the ICSA Antivirus :

Here is what it means:

ICSA Labs is the security industry's central anti-virus product testing and certification facility.
Here, you will always find which products are currently certified and detailed Lab Reports of the tests conducted and updated weekly.

Ewido is more for Trojans/Malware and may pick up some viruses, but not all.

Hope that helps,

Erik

Anti vir is better than both in detection rates and with their new heuristics for version 7 which is now been put back to 30/31 Jan 2006 it will be even better! Avast is superior to AVG!

Member of ASAP Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals

under the name khazars

pechenegs, is that the free version? The website says Avast 4 for home is the free one. Is that it?

Avast 4 is free and I think also a pro version!

under the name khazars

pechenegs,

I you opinion, in what ways is Avast superior to AVG? I haven't seen AntiVir before. How does it's performance/resource load compare to the other two?

Detection rate is obviously of top importance, however scanning speed/system load is also right up there for me. I may take a bit of trade off there as sluggish systems tend to bring out the postal berserker in me. ;-)

[sub]Jeff
[purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day

"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/sub]

Anti vir and avast as far as I know use heuristics, certainly the new anti vir version 7 release 30/31st January does have! Read here at the wilders site!

Anti vir's scan does take longer but that's because it's better!

under the name khazars

It looks like AntiVir's free version does not scan e-mail, leaving it out of the running for me. I won't buy a virus of spyware scanner, so free is the only option.

[sub]Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back