Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compaq 4100 series disk array 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmptrgydv

Technical User
Feb 4, 2006
US
Hi, I am trying to set up a disk array for the first time,
And it’s not going to well, I got a Compaq proliant U2 disk array, 4100 series,
With 8 18.2gig scsi disks, I have two scsi cards that I tried using but neither one will work, I do not have no manuals for the disk array, so first I need to know if you can use this disk array in any system, or is it only compatible with a Compaq server,

The first scsi card I tried it with is a Adaptec AHA2940/UW
But it just starts up and scans for scsi device and says can not find any,

Then I tried a Compaq card I have, but I don’t know the model number of it,
But it is a 2 channel LVD/UW, I got a smart start disk with the card, but when I boot the computer with it, it says this system is not compatible with smart start,

I know I must be doing something wrong, the last device on the scsi chain needs to be terminated, I am assuming that the disk array does this automatically,

im not to sure about the 4100 but check what version of smartstart you are using if its an older system try ver5.4 ive had luck with that one more than anyothers. and give a llittle more info im assuming this is a fresh system meaning there is no config at all yet....but is there is an os installed and running already go to hp.com find your system and download the hp array configuration utility ..... if you just set the system up with one disk using the smartstart cd install the os the get the array utility and set it up how ever you want...once the os is running and the utility is installed you should be able to plug in all the drives and the will show up and you can do what ever you want to them...

Well I am using an MSI motherboard with 1 sata drive installed, I have server 2003 standard installed on the sata drive, I did get the array working, I have 4 drives set up with raid 0 and 4 drives setup with raid 5, I am using the Compaq scsi card for the array,
But it will not let me load the smart start disk, it says it’s not compatible with system,
I set up the raid with the server 2003 dynamic disk utility,

( SmartStart works with all ProLiant ML and DL 300, 500, and 700 series and BladeSystem (BL) servers.)

Well I found that on the Compaq website, so I’m assuming I can’t just build a system and install smart start,
I am going to pick up a DL380 server that I found really cheap, I’ll try it with that,
The Compaq scsi card I have does not support raid at all, so that might be why smartstart will not work, THANKS FOR YOUR HELP, I’m sure I will have a lot more questions after I get that DL380 setup,

WELL IS YOU HAVE EVERYTHING CONFIGURED AND YOU CAN ALREADY BOOT WIN2K3 WHAT DO YOU WANT WITH SMARTSTART

It’s a 4100 series disk array, I don’t know the exact model number,

But it has 8 18.2 scsi drives in it,

And yes I got it configured with raid 5 using win dynamic disk utility,

And I am new at this disk array setup stuff, so I’m not really sure what smartstart is for,
I thought it was or had the utility’s on it to set up disk array’s or raid on the servers,
And some software for keeping track of what the server is doing,

But if I was to buy a scsi card with raid on it, does it have the raid setup utility built in to the card, or would it be on a disk,
And what is the difference between the raid on the card, and the dynamic raid function
Built into server 2003, (is dynamic raid , and raid built into scsi card the same thing)

smartstart is mostly for initial setup but since you already have access to an os you can download the hp array config utility from hp.com for your server that is the easiest way for me to set up an array.

ok im not sure exactally what youre asking...but here goes my best...all raid is is a configuration of disks there is raid 0 raid 1 raid 0+1 .... to Raid 5. now usually on a system there is an integrated scsi card some are capable of handling RAID sets and some are not. If it is not then you would have to have an external scsi controller installed that is capable of handling a raid set. the raid set is not built in its self. in a controller that is capable of handling RAID sets the is a built in RAID UTILITY which will allow you to configure you RAID set any way you want it

now if you are going to buy a new scsi controller for the raid you want to make sure it is capable of handling RAID and that it is compatable with your system. depending on which controller you get you might have to install the driver. and since you already have the os up and running plug in the new scsi controller and download and install the hp array config utility for your system and you should be able to see it when you open the utility. and from the utility you can see all the logical drives and all the physical drives that are attached to each controller...

i hope this clears up a few things for you anymore questions feel free to ask

this is the one I have

this is what I found on the compaq website,

but I'm not sure it is the same one,
on the back of it, it say's 4100 series and thats it,
I tried taking the board out of the back of it,
to look that up, but no luck,

I guess I need to know more about this raid controller
stuff, thats what I was trying to figure out,
does this thing have the raid controller built into
it, or do I need to put one in the computer i'm running the array on, I know how raid works, just need to figure out
what I need to get to use raid, is a raid controller,
and a scsi card with raid the same thing,

ok well i cant really tell but on the back of you enclosure is there only the one scsi connection or is there one for a monitor mouse and keyboard. if it only has the scsi port then i would say that it is a scsi controller with raid. if it has the monitor keyboard and mouse ports then it is a system... now the link you gave me is for the RA4000 (RAID ARRAY 4000) the link i gave you is for a RA4100 (RAID ARRAY 4100) these arent actual RAID ARRAYS they and enclosures for RAID ARRAYS. once you punt the disks in and set them up as a RAID 5 or what ever that is going to be your RAID ARRAY. get it.......and either one of the RA4000 or RA4100 with have the built in raid utility...these two RA's are made to hold disks in a RAID set....yes a raid controller and a scsi controller with raid are the same thing...... you see the scsi connection on the back of your 4100 series RA you need to have a connection on the computer also..... now if you have the one with the monitor keyboard and scsi ports then you dont even need a computer

No it only has the scsi connection, so if the controller is built in,
Then how do I access the raid functions on the controller,
When I start the computer it does not say anything about the disk array,
The only time I know it’s there is when I look in my computer and see the drives,
Or in disk management, but when it post’s there is nothing, just the normal stuff,

It does not say anything about the Compaq scsi card either when it runs post,
When I put the adaptech scsi card in, it shows the scsi card, and I can go into the
Utility’s on the card and configure the drives, but the adaptech card does not see any scsi drives, or the array, that’s why I thought you must be able to get into the Compaq card to configure scsi drives, then I thought maybe that’s what smartstart was for, because I got a smartstart disk with the Compaq scsi card, oh ya! The smartstart disk say’s it’s version 4.23, and I did download the new version, have I completely confused you yet,

A LITTLE CONFUSED BUT I THINK WE CAN FIGURE THIS OUT WHAT KIND OF COMUTER ARE YOU CONNECTING TO..... AS FOR VIEWING THE ARRAY IF IT DOESNT SHOW UP ON POST BUT YOU CAN SEE THE DRIVES IN DISK MANAGMENT THEN YOU CAN USE THE SAMRTSTART CD IT DOES HAVE THE ARRAY SONFIG UTILITY ON IT OR YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THE ARRAY UTILITY FROM HP.COM I RECOMMEND THE UTILITY FROM HP.COM CAUSE THERE ARE FUNCTION ON SMARTSTART THAT WILL WIPE OUT ALL YOUR DATA. TELL ME THE MODLE# OF THE COMPUTER YOU ARE USING.........IS IT A COMPUTER OR A SERVER

also on the front of the 4100 there should be some#'s give me all the numbers you can find on the 4100

also the #'s from the back and list what they are if you can part num serial num and so on

OK here is the scoop,

The front say’s Proliant storage system U2
In the back on the circuit board that is removable, it say’s Wide ultra scsi 3 mode UE
Series 4100, don’t see any serial numbers, but it’s in a rack so I’ll have to look again

In device manager, the controller say’s Compaq 64-bit ultra 2 scsi controller,

So does that mean the array is scsi 3, and the controller is scsi 2

I built the computer my self, it’s a MSI mother board with an AMD 2500 sempron,
256 of DDR ram, and a nvidia 9200 video card, and the Compaq scsi card in it,
I have enterprise server 2003 installed on a 80gig sata drive,
It’s in a 4U rack mount case,
But like I said I’m looking at getting a proliant DL380,

the 4100 and the scsi controller my not be compatible i would wait till you get that dl380 the 4100 is compatible with any dl380 according the the hp tech's. you might want to call hp or go on hp.com and find the chat with tech thing and ask id you compaq 64-bit ultra 2 is compatible iwht the 4100

Well I got the DL380 setup, but there was a small problem,
When I got it I told the guy I did not want the processor in it, so he sold it to me with no processor, then when I tried to put my two PIII 800’s in it, it would not run both processor’s it would only run 1, so I did some searching and figured out I need another processor power regulator, it only had the one in it, so Monday I will go back and get the other one, it runs good though, the nice thing was I got it on ebay, but the company is only two miles from my house, so I didn’t have to pay all the shipping, so it cost me $150 for the server with 4 9.2 scsi drives in it, and 512 megs of ram,
The controller I have does not have raid on it, so I will pick one up tomorrow,
I’m looking at either a 2DH or a 2SL but I’m still comparing them,
They are both compatible with the 4100 so I will let you know what happens,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back