Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compaq 4100 series disk array 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmptrgydv

Technical User
Feb 4, 2006
US
Hi, I am trying to set up a disk array for the first time,
And it’s not going to well, I got a Compaq proliant U2 disk array, 4100 series,
With 8 18.2gig scsi disks, I have two scsi cards that I tried using but neither one will work, I do not have no manuals for the disk array, so first I need to know if you can use this disk array in any system, or is it only compatible with a Compaq server,

The first scsi card I tried it with is a Adaptec AHA2940/UW
But it just starts up and scans for scsi device and says can not find any,

Then I tried a Compaq card I have, but I don’t know the model number of it,
But it is a 2 channel LVD/UW, I got a smart start disk with the card, but when I boot the computer with it, it says this system is not compatible with smart start,

I know I must be doing something wrong, the last device on the scsi chain needs to be terminated, I am assuming that the disk array does this automatically,

Not sure what generation it is, but here is a link to one of them,

that place is huge, maybe a half a block long warehouse,
man they got a lot of stuff,
I got the raid controller and processor power regulator today,
And everything is running good, I set the array up with 4 drives running raid0 and 4 drives running raid 5, now I just need to setup the cisco routers I got, and get my network
Running and I’m good to go, THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP,
I never set up a server before, so I was running blind some what,
I’m getting ready to take my CCNA test pretty soon, so I need to work on configuring routers for awhile, I will probably have more questions, sooner or later,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back