Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ComboBox skip displaying some records 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruru9292

IS-IT--Management
Jan 31, 2005
US
I have a simple query attached to my combobox and bound to hidden column 1. this query retrieve around 22,000 sorted records. when I type a name it search and retrieve the record then display it on my form.

Consider I have the data below:

ID first name:
--- -------
1 bob
2 jerry
3 sam
4 terry
5 willy
6 william

the problem is when I type wi usually it display the first name that start with wi in this case "willy", my problem is it does not display it even willy is exist; however; if I type willy it retrieve the records and display all information for that name.

any ideas why sometime does not display the name in my combobox list eventhough it exist?

Thanks in Advance.

Access can be configured to only retrieve a set number of records in a combo or list box.

"Tools" -> "Options" -> "Edit/Find" tab
"Don't display lists where more than this number of records read"

Retrieving 22,000 records is a lot, and can generate a lot of network traffic.

An approach would be to consider having the end user type in the first three characters and then apply the filter to load the combo box.

You would have to use the OnKey event and take advantage of the RowSource property.

Richard

Thanks Willir. The link works great.

Thanks Roy-Vidar for your Link. It helps a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back