Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Combo Box 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dljohnson69

IS-IT--Management
Oct 15, 2001
US
I have a combo box on a form that looks up 5 values I have stored in a table. Problem I have is that whenever one of the values is selected in the form it changes the value on ALL records. How do I get it to keep the value on that record once it is selected?

Is this combo box UNBOUND or is it bound to a field in the source table/query? Do any of the other fields rely on the value of the CBO for it's value?

Jim DeGeorge [wavey]

It is unbound. There are no other fields that would use this.

Unbound? Is the source of the CBO a value list or another table/query?

What is the source of your form? List out the table name and field names for me, please. Also do the same for the CBO source.

Jim DeGeorge [wavey]

The value of the combo box is another table called 'EARS' which just has 5 values in it.

The forms' source is a table called 'Jave_build_tracking' and it has 5 fields called:

Build ID (index #)
Project Description
Requested By
Problems
Problem Resposibility
E-Mail of Request
Date of Request
Date of Build

All of these are just date , test or note fields. Pretty basic stuff.

I have tried to add the 'EARS' database to the control source of the unbound combo but now it will not let me select from the list. Thanks for any light you can shed on this.

The reason to have a combo box is to select a value and store it somewhere or have something happen based on that value. You seem to be doing neither. What's the purpose of the combo box since it's unbound?

Jim DeGeorge [wavey]

That was the problem. I did not have it saving values to a file. I added a field for EAR in the 'java_tracking_database' and had the combo box save there and it appears to be letting me change the value and saving it. The book I have on this sucks and doesn't explain very well . Thanks for your help, I'll dance at your next wedding.

Glad to have helped! And there won't be a "next" wedding. I'm married just over a year now and very happy, thank you! :)

Jim DeGeorge [wavey]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back