Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Combo Box Wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

martin007

Technical User
Feb 9, 2005
NL
Hello,

I have a problem i hope someone can tell me what to do i have a database with some client information and i added a table that contain the software version which is called VersionProductname which contain a field who's called VersionProductname that contain the software version for this product.

In my client database i created a field which is called Version this field is where the data selected from the form should be saved in.

When i create my combo box using the Wizard i can select the source from where i want to get the data which is from VersionProductname.

When it come to select where i want to store that value in this field i dont get the Version choice from the table Client i dont get a choice to select the table or the field in which i want to store the data. (this is when i choose in the combo box wizard the option I want the combo box to look up the values in a table or query).

I have no idea how to do this im pretty sure it is a pretty basic question but if someone could give me some information i am new with access and cannot find why i cant link both of them so when i select the version number it would save itself directly into the table client field version.

I have received some answer in previous post and i still didnt solve my problem not sure if im doing something wrong but i need someone to explain me in detail since i don't know access too well.

Thanks.

Martin007,

There is a work-around you can use to bypass the wizard.

1. Set up a combo-box on the form without using the wizard.
2. Go to properties then select the Data tab.
3. Make "Row Source Type" = Table/Query
4. In "Row Source" enter an SQL statement that gets the data that you want to populate the list with.

EXAMPLE:

SELECT DISTINCTROW TABLENAME.FIELDNAME, FROM TABLENAME ORDER BY TABLENAME.FIELDNAME;

If you need help building the SQL statement, simply make a query in the Access Query Design grid. When you have done that you can change the view to SQL. Thats your SQL statement.

Give this a try. I use it all the time in my forms and it works well. Let me know if you have questions. --------------------------------
Fortius, Citius, nullis secundus
Strength, Speed, second to none

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back