Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

COLOR

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenshinHimura

Programmer
May 8, 2003
US
After a whole mess of testing it seems that in &H1C96 in qb45 is the number stored for the color in the PRINT statement. Could some people test this out for me and see if it works in their version of qb and on their computer? It only works for SCREEN 0 and is a little faster than the COLOR statement. I know this is useless because you can POKE directly to the screen in SCREEN 0 thru &HB800, but its still interesting to now. Some1 should get arounding to documenting the memory segment and each of its functioning of QB. I don't have time right now, but it seems like an interesting project. I guess now I'll try to figure out how it works with other SCREENs. PLZ test it out.... all you got to do is POKE &H1C96, randomvalue and then PRINT someting and see if it changes the color without the COLOR statement. thx :)

Well, I found out that &H1CE9 is the address for SCREENs other than 0 color for the PRINT argument. Well, I don't really see how ne1 (besides me) can use this information, but I don't think it's common knowledge. It did save me though from writing a whole new Print routine with a custom font (man that woulda taken forever). Note: You have to be in Qbasic's default SEGment so use DEF SEG without the argument.

when i want to make my own custom font routine, i just make one that uses my put routine (that clips and masks) to put the text in. fast and easy, plus switching fonts is a breeze.

Using Draw affords an easy way to make custom fonts too.
Takes some time to get each character wanted looking right
but ive made several that way and they are surprisingly fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back