Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clueless In Seattle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigdictimusprime

IS-IT--Management
Jan 26, 2015
US
Hello all!

I have been brought to you by being the only one trying to help somebody who administers the phone system at an office and they will not be transitioning to a new phone system for a bit so I feel bad for them. The clueless part is both myself and everyone involved. I was wondering if you might be able to provide some suggestions to help with the CS1000S software because it is getting this MatComm32 MFC crash whenever a change is transmitted.

The backstory is that this office did not have any kind of backup and the little machine that could finally died spectacularly however I was able to pull an image of the hard drive off and copy it to a nearly identical Pentium 4 system and boot right to Windows, but it has not worked right since... CallPilot, the user says, opens and that part is fine on a still running even older PC. The issue is OTM Navigator on this frankenpc. I thought of a reload or reinstallation, but we do not have any license information and that is where I get stuck trying to reinstall OTM. All these discs and no way to install... talk about frustrating. I was unable to virtualize the PC in the first place because of the dang blasted dongle but by the grace of somebody we got the image back up.... sooo close I just wish it would work as it did. Does the IP address of this machine have to be the same as the old one? One of two differences was the NIC so I lost IP addressing information from the old PC. If it had a static IP, we'd have to pull some wizardry to find out what the old IP was but if it has something to do with it, I will look into it.

Thanks for reading and any and all suggestions!

You better off just dialing into the PBX and using command line. MAT/OTM going to be impossible for someone that has no experience to get up and running. Probably better off calling in a tech from frontier or century link. Sounds like a real pickle your in.

Thank you Eddie! The poor lady who takes care of the extensions might have a lot of trouble with CLI. I will try to get a hold of Frontier and CenturyLink, thanks! I was also running into dead ends on where to go for support. If the solution costs money though I fear the company declining because "oh they're transitioning to a new phone system soon (who knows when)." What if the other CallPilot machine gives up the ghost? Are the operations of their phone system in jeopardy or will they keep functioning without these archaic machines? I sure stepped right into this pickle!

It never ceases to amaze me how these companies don't want to spend a dime until disaster strikes. If you don't know the installation of OTM it will be a battle to get it going. I would call CenturyLink, I hear they have some good techs.

How soon are you transitioning to a new system?

Joseph Sus Jr. Nortel Enthusiast

I do know that some of the old Verizon Nortel techs have gone to Frontier in the Seattle area.
I do agree with the other posts that it will be long road if you do not know OTM installation.
I do not know any company that will do the work for free what ever you decide it is most likely going to cost you

Thank you for your input guys! It got hectic for me and I am the only one looking into this case. I am pulled in all kinds of directions and I agree that it is very odd that such a critical system would not have any type of backup. A disturbing amount of offices operate on a "wait until emergency" basis. Lucky us, we are the ones who deal with emergencies on limited time and manpower. Rant aside, I have not had a chance to ring up CL and Frontier. I will explore options even if they cost just on the chance that it is worth it. I have felt bad for months because first I virtualized the PC but of course parallel dongles cannot be virtualized (at least easily), then with the nearly identical PC in place it still just will not work. It's been close but not working since the getgo :(

Oh and to answer the question, I am not sure when they will be transitioning. Every time I ask, it is the same "pretty soon."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back