Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clickable text box on subform not displaying data 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCop

Programmer
Jan 11, 2002
GB
Within a customer browse form, I have a sub-form which displays brief summary records linked to the customer. One of the fields on the subform can be double-clicked to open a detail form for that specific record.

This has worked fine for 3 - 4 months. In the last week on the networked version of my system users have noticed that the clickable field on most records is staying blank although it be displayed by mousing over the records. I have not changed the code so I thought this might be due to slow network performance but the data is available at the query which feeds the sub-form and the table or query can be browsed at normal speed.

I ran the system entirely on a local machine but the problem remains - therefore not network or server related. If I run the system on my own machines (ie not on the office network) it performs perfectly as it always did.

Might this be some form of security issue? Does a clickable text box look suspicious to some firewall or other protective software? Any avenues of investigation would be welcome!

Hallo,

There is a known issue where a text box (or other control, such as a combo box) which contains data is blanked.
In cases I have seen, the data appears as spaces, so you can use the mouse to select characters, althought thay are not shown.

Is this the same for you?

It was said to happen for unbound controls when no records were displayed, but I have found it to happen at other times too.

Try using the Repaint (or recalc, refresh, requery) operations on form/control and see if one of those fixes it.

- Frink

Thank you Frink. This is exactly my problem. However I found (I think) a solution to it! I found that the office machines were NOT set up to receive Office updates but were recieving Windows updates. Because they all showed this problem late last week I suspect a recent Windows update may have affected the unpatched Access program. I have applied Office 2003 SP2 to two of the machines today and the problems seem to have gone away. My home machines were already patched which is why I was able to run the program here. I shall be speaking to our Systems Administrator when he returns from holiday......!

SP" eh? That's worth knowing. We're upgrading to Office 2003 at work so I wonder if my disappearing fields will go then.

- Frink

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back