Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clearing old values from IP Phones - Mute / Clear or Mute / Reset not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

telecomPA

MIS
Jul 9, 2007
US
hi, this seems to be a problem on a lot of IP phones that i come across. does anyone know the secret to unlocking IP phones and getting the star (*) to program prompt when the phone is rebooted?
i have an office w/about 60 phones and they want to program the sets to use new values but they never get * to program when the phone boots up. the set either starts looking for DHCP or the phone gives an extension error. where is that controlled and how do you unlock it?

my contact has tried:

mute + reset + #
mute + clear + #
mute + craft + clear + #

last, is there a difference in the solution for a 4610 versus a 9620 set?

Look in the Admin guide or 46xxsettings.txt file for PROCSTAT.

Set the PROCSTAT to a value of 0

############# LOCAL PROCEDURE ACCESS SETTINGS ############
##
## Restrict Local Procedure Access
## Controls whether local (dial pad) procedures can be
## used to administer the telephone.
## 0 means local procedures can be accessed from the
## telephone.
## 1 means local procedures can not be accessed from the
## telephone.
## CAUTION:Be absolutely sure before setting PROCSTAT to 1
SET PROCSTAT 0
##

this will give you the * to program on boot-up

>mike

ACE - IP Telephony

i checked the file, already has this entry. except in our file it says the following:

SET PROCSTAT 0
SET PROCPSWD 27238

Try

Mute - 27238# - reset #

Looks like the access to the local procedures is password protected.

## Local Procedure Password
## Sets password for local (dial pad) procedure access.
## (0 to 7 ASCII numeric digits). See your telephone's
## Administrator's guide for the default password
## supported by your release.

What model phones are they?

96xx - you should be able to just do Mute <27238> # and this will get you to the Craft Procedures

46xx - Mute ADDR # will get you into the Address portion,

this will allow you to change the ip information, as far as changing the extension the phone logs in with, do a Logout on the phone, and then enter the new credentials.

>mike

ACE - IP Telephony

they're 4610 sets. i don't have them here so am relaying this info to my site contact. she's tried everything so i'm hoping coming on here will help. these phones came from another office or another site where they were in use. for some reason, it's really trying our patience.

what does Mute + ADDR# do for her? i've never tried it.

mute +ADDR will get you into the IP Address section of the phone - you can zero out the values or overwrite from there.

>mike

ACE - IP Telephony

i just tried mute + ADDR# on a spare phone here at my desk and it never changed. does this only work on a phone during the boot process?

Had this happen once to me, took forever to find it.

So if your settings file is squared away, look at sys-parameters-ip-options
SERVICES DIAL PAD PARAMETERS

Download Flag? y
Password: *

this changes the craft password for 96xx phones, though dosnt sound like your issue

Thanks NewNic but the settings you mentioned are already set to "y" and password is set to "*".

So did
"mute + 27238 + 73738 + #"
not work?

It translates to
mute (PROCPSWD) RESET # which should reset the phone.
It seems to me by your 46xxsettings file that you have the local procedures password protected with
SET PROCPSWD 27238

Which means you will not be able to access the local procedures until the password is entered then your enter the command. I accidentally enabled this once myself, the only thing I do not recall is whether a # sign was required after the password. If it is going well you will hear a click when mute is pressed but not when the rest of the numbers are pressed.

Sometimes you can interrupt the boot process as well but only if is says "Press * to program" when it is getting it's DHCP settings.

Sorry I see you did try it. Mute + craft (aka 27238) + reset #

Under sys par ip options change download flag to no or change the password to 27238

how does this impact existing phones? i can't afford to impact other phones, too many on this PBX.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back