Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CLAN and MEDPRO 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

alberton

Technical User
Feb 26, 2003
ES
Anyone know how many Ip phones can be connected to a CLAN and a MEDPRO and what is the scale?
I have nearly 300 Ip phones connected to 2 CLANs and 2 MEDPROs, and the system has some cuts in the LAN. When I make a ping to any of these boards several packets are sent and other are lost.

I don´t know if it is a speed problem (10/100), a sockets excess or a LAN problem.

Any idea?

Many thanks

From my understanding (which at present if fairly limited) you can have upto 64 IP endpoints per MEDPRO (without compression); however since you've uinvariably got a significant amount more I would assume that the 64 is simultaneous conversations not registered handsets. I would also presume that you can have as many handsets as you want (up to some limit I'm sure, just don't know what) *registered* but only a finite number actually on calls; i.e. 64.

Cheers,
NJ

PS: Please let me know if my advice has been of any use.

Hy guys,
Regarding CLAN, you could manage in same time arround 150 - 200 IP-station and 5-6 Media Gateway.
Concerning Medpro, in G711 you could manage arround 66 IP-station in same time.
So one CLAN could manage 2-3 Medpro.
To resolve your prb, you have enought CLAN if you use them only for VOIP and nothing else but you have to add more Medpro(4-6 Medpro) depending how many simultaneous communication you have.

Cheers
Thibaut

Telecom Administrator

A clan can manage 399 ip-endpoints.

But be careful with the number of the ip-phones with differents release you have on the same clan.

Hi, Alberton, just a complement of information about the number of ip station per c-lan. It was an avaya doc than you could found here :

http:\\

C-LAN Capacity and Recommendations

The Control LAN (C-LAN) board is the IP interface for many functions, including H.225 call signaling

for IP stations and IP trunks, H.248 media gateway control signaling, connectivity to various adjuncts,

and SAT administrative access via TCP/IP. Each connection for one of these functions requires at least

one TCP socket on the C-LAN board. The C-LAN board can support over 400 sockets under typical

usage conditions. However, the heavier the usage the greater the load on the CLAN and the worse the

performance. Furthermore, regardless of usage it is highly discouraged to operate the C-LAN near

maximum capacity in a production environment. The following conservative recommendations are

offered for typical environments, and can vary based on usage levels.

SM Avaya IP Telephony Implementation Guide 34

- Adjuncts such as CMS, CDR, AUDIX? Messaging System, and others should be placed on separate

C-LAN boards that are not used for call signaling or media gateway control signaling. This is

common practice primarily due to business impact of the adjunct and the consequent need to isolate

the adjunct, as well as to quickly troubleshoot any problems related to the adjunct.

- In a typical call center environment, design for a normal operating load of 200-250 IP stations plus 6

media gateways per C-LAN.

- In a typical non-call center business environment, design for a normal operating load of 250-300 IP

stations plus 8 media gateways per C-LAN.

- The number of signaling groups (IP trunks) per CLAN depends greatly on the configuration and

usage of each signaling group. Configuring the signaling group to have “calls share IP signaling

connection” – an option between Avaya systems – requires less C-LAN resources than if each

individual call has its own connection. The greater the usage of the signaling group (frequency of

calls, features utilized during calls, number of simultaneous calls, etc.), the greater the C-LAN

resource consumption. As a very general rule, based on anecdotal evidence of typical IP trunk usage

and assuming calls share IP signaling connection, substitute one signaling group for ten IP stations in

the two preceding bullet items.

Telecom Administrator

short answer is that a tn799dp C-Lan can handle 460 registrations.

Long answer: you will get a warning if registrations rise above 400. Normally Avaya doesn't not like more than around 200 IP phones on a single C-Lan. I wouldn't stress a C-Lan unless I was on the latest firmware/software loads, which have extended load balancing capabilities.

Click below for S8700 Media Server information

Thanks a lot to everyone for the interest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back