Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco VPN client loses hostname, group in connection entry 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 17, 2007
US
I've been getting many corporate laptops into the help desk with damaged VPN client entries. Every one I've seen still has a line for the connection entry (it was not deleted). However, the Host address (or IP), the group name, and the group password (and confirmation) are all gone. The connection entry name, description and transport type all survive. So the user sees the connection entry, clicks on it and gets an "Error 5: no hostname exists for this connection entry."

These are vanilla winXP boxes using various versions of Cisco VPN client (4.6, 4.8 and 5.0).

I know you can modify the connection parameters, but these users did not even try to do that. How did these critical settings get lost? What causes Cisco VPN client to lose SOME of its connection configuration? It must be done automatically in some situations. But what situations?

I have never seen that before in my life. Something could be corrupting the VPN Profile. It is stored in a text file in the program files/cisco vpn/profiles folder.

Windows updates? Were the client configurations pushed to the laptops or installed individually? What's the common denominator here?

Burt

The client configurations were installed individually (this takes less than 2 minutes). The systems do not have the same updates applied (we run heterogeneous so one event cannot take down all equipment). This problem has been occurring for many months, so it was not caused by a new update. And because at least one machine is up-to-the-minute, it was also not caused by an unpatched old update.

So let ME ask: What's the common denominator here? I sure can't see it.

I have done some searches on google and on cisco network professional forums and can't seem to locate anyone with the same issue.

So you put the info back into the clients, and they are able to connect or not? Does it lose the info right away, or are they able to connect once, close it, reopen it and the info is gone? Does this only happen on laptops or anyone configured to connect to said VPN? Do you also use Windows VPN for a different VPN connection?

Burt

Typing in the info immediately restores function and clients can then connect. They can connect forever afterwards and usually work for weeks or months until the 'bad thing' happens and it is lost again. This happens on both laptops and home desktop units.

This has happened on machines which have other cisco VPN entries listed (our gets lost, others are unaffected) as well as ones where we're the only entry. Some of the machines have other VPN clients installed, most do not. There seems to be no pattern.

There must be some EVENT that causes this state, but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere on the interwebs. Our working hypothesis is that an unsuccessful vpn connect attempt in a certain environment (due to heavy firewalling) brings on a state where the client is instructed to delete or modify the entry. But I cannot find any reference to this state.

I work for a company supporting just over 2,000 users running a custom windows xp image that is the same across all machines and we have this exact same issue.

A user will call the helpdesk indicating his VPN no longer works. It isn't working because the hostname portion of the cisco vpn configuration file (we just call it the pcf file for short) is gone.

Our fix has been to have users execute either winbatch scripts or .bat files that pull down the pcf file from an ftp site and copy it over the one missing information.

We have had this problem since the cisco vpn client has been deployed.

Thank you. This workaround makes perfect sense and I am going to at least have the config file available so I can apply it more quickly on demand.

I also appreciate your input so I don't think that I'm going crazy. Everyone I've described this to has looked at me like I'm nuts. Thank goodness it's not just me.

So the bottom line: the Cisco VPN client has a bug that deletes the host address of the peer in some circumstance(s). The circumstance(s) is not known, but re-entering the address is required.

professorguy,

I would really like to compare our issues/environments. This has been an issue for my department for quite some time and seeing as how uncommon the problem appears to be I would like to see what our issues have in common.

I couldn't find a way to PM on this site. Can you please send me an email? I'll try and mask it here to protect myself from even more spam then I already get lol.

nathan("dot")quintanilla("at")champ("hyphen")tech("dot")com

This can occur when when the Cisco VPN client crashes or the system reboots unexpectedly when the client is connected.

The best solution is to keep backup copies of your .pcf files or update the broken pcf file with information from another pcf file.

I thought of a work around the other day. You could deploy a small script file written in VBS or scripting language of your choice that runs at startup on the machine, compares the file size of the current pcf file, and if it is not correct, replaces it with a known good file.

This might not prevent everyone from getting the error, however it would definitely push down the time to resolution by making the fix "reboot your computer".

I guess you could even have a running process that checked every 5 minutes or so for the same thing, however no matter how you do it, its a potential work around.

vpnprog---they seem to have multiple versions of the client---it crashing with all versions on various computers may not be very likely at all...
Rebooting? I would think that not only the vpn connection entries perhaps get corrupted, but they'd probably notice..."Oh yeah---when this happens, the server reboots right before..."

Burt

Oh how odd... I just happen to run across this thread and I am glad I am not the only one that has experienced this same issue with some of my end-users.

On occasion I receive a call stating the same problem as you guys are having..."VPN can't connect due to host information missing".
Sure enough when I login to thier system remotely I notice that the profile still exists but the host name and/or the password info are gone.

On one user I had created a backup profile just in case one got corrupted and low and behold thier system BSOD and on reboot both profiles had thier host info removed. Although this is the only user that had reported a BSOD and was using Vista at the time.

Other than that I don't see any common link between the users that have reported this problem. All of my users are using either the latest version or one version prior of the Cisco VPN software.

I guess I will keep monitoring this thread in case someone finds a solution or cause to the problem.

-- Glad to know my users are not to blame...although it would've been easier to fix if it was them! --

Cisco's official response was for us to try it using the latest version of the VPN. I asked our telecomms guy to tell them we know its happening to the latest version as well.

As a simpler workaround, I am setting the PCF files to Read Only (not on the Security tab, but just the general preferences pane) on our fileserver, and have verified that that attribute remains set after the file is copied to the client. This handles any new builds or one-off clients whose pcf's become corrupt.

A GPO to set RO on c:\"program files\cisco systems\vpn client\Profiles\*.pcf" will also be rolled out to existing clients. I had approached it from the automated backup and re-roll side, but our clients may have profiles for networks other than ours which wouldn't get handled in that case.

Cisco is aware of the issue and are targetting an upcoming release with a fix from what I understand.

I just wanted to comment that I have recently deployed a Cisco ASA-5510 for VPN use and have heard this problem reported by 2 users. Have also seen no correlation to it occurring.

Glad to see someone else having this issue as it was very confusing! I have simply provided the PCF for these people and shown them how to import it...

We solved this problem by changing the .pcf file in Cisco Systems\VPN Client\Profiles to "Read only".

This seems to work fine at least with us, client doesn't lose the hostname etc. anymore.

Regards,

Antti

I have had this issue for a while as well. I was looking for an officia answer for my VP f infrastructure but yu all have seen the same thing. Blows out when the system shuts down wrong or the client is forced closed. We use certs and sometimes the host name will be lost and the authentication will switch to use IPsec group. I just tell my people how to get in and fix it themselves but I like the read only idea on the file. I think I will start doing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back