Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco direction or MS direction? Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtech2008

MIS
Oct 6, 2008
US
I have been working in the field for two years now. If I had to boil down the many things I do, I would say I am a Windows Network Admin.

I asked a local owner of a tech company what certs they had found to be most useful in their career. They said Linux and Cisco (Cisco always good). They also added that Microsoft guys were a "dime a dozen".

If I want to get more training and certs in networking related tech, what is your advice/experience in relation to Cisco?

I have an impression (which may be 100% wrong) Cisco guys run all over setting up connections for networks and seldom stay in one location. I know I would rather be at one location or two maximum. So, what types of jobs are available once I have my Cisco certs started?

To someone who really has to work to gain knowledge, is Cisco light years more difficult than say MCSE MCSA?

Once up and running are the Cisco jobs harder to find?

I will start using that one Lerdalt! LoL

That Jedi mind trick would be my weapon of choice as well... The baddest Star Trek beings were the Borg(IMHO) and if you Mind Trick one of them off of a cliff then they all jump! LoL

I feel the flame war coming!!! LoL

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

It's funny!

Cisco VS M$ thread turned into
Star Wars VS Star Trek!

The funniest thing about it is that my Uncle is a freakin' Trekkie and we are always joking about which is better! I love the video on YouTube where the Enterprise hauls @$$ when the Death Star is about to unload! WoW.. I really am a geek! LoL

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

I was just telling a coworker how wildly off track we got on this thread. Definitely added some humor though.

Back to the movie...I haven't seen anything about that, so I've got to go look it up. If it's Star Wars related, I'll probably have to go get it. The Family Guy Blue Harvest episode was a riot.

Billy,

Got to say I love the Family Guy version of Star Wars :)

I am a big fan of both Star Wars and Star Trek as well as most Scifi!!! Kind of goes with being a tech guy/CiscoGuy!!!!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Don't you find it creepy that Luke Skyscraper made out with his sister???

Burt

LoL.. What's creepy is the thought of a Wookie show!

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

I was considering an answer to that, but I'm a wee bit loopy on pain meds...just had a fusion of the L5 and S1, and it kinda hurts a little...

Burt

I had a herniated disc last year. Had a microdiscectomy which alleviated the majority of the pain. It was a blessing and I am able to get back in the gym now.. and tie my own shoes! LoL I hope you feel better Burt.. and it's probably for the best that you don't make adult wookie comments while high on pain meds in a public forum.. LoL A couple of misplaced keystrokes and you would be on the receiving end of the Tek-Tips jokes for a month or two.. Who knows.. you may even catch more flack than the guy that came in asking about brain dumps.. LoL Well, maybe not! :)

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

If the above posts don't answer the original question about MS versus Cisco, you obviously don't belong in Cisco.

Anyone ever wonder if Tribbles evolved into Wookies? Just a thought.

Or maybe just got together a few nights and made some Trookies and Wibbles...GO OXYCONTIN!!!

Burt

I did it all for the Wookie!

OK.. I'll quit!

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back