Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco direction or MS direction? Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtech2008

MIS
Oct 6, 2008
US
I have been working in the field for two years now. If I had to boil down the many things I do, I would say I am a Windows Network Admin.

I asked a local owner of a tech company what certs they had found to be most useful in their career. They said Linux and Cisco (Cisco always good). They also added that Microsoft guys were a "dime a dozen".

If I want to get more training and certs in networking related tech, what is your advice/experience in relation to Cisco?

I have an impression (which may be 100% wrong) Cisco guys run all over setting up connections for networks and seldom stay in one location. I know I would rather be at one location or two maximum. So, what types of jobs are available once I have my Cisco certs started?

To someone who really has to work to gain knowledge, is Cisco light years more difficult than say MCSE MCSA?

Once up and running are the Cisco jobs harder to find?

Burt,

How old do your son's have to be before they can get their CCNA?

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

It's like magic, huh Burt? Every day you break your lab and it just seems to work the next morning when you power it back up??? LoL

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

That and the dogs have had a "haircut". Also, I saw a note written in crayon one morning..."Daddy, you forgot 'ip nat inside', idiot..."
The kids must be quad CCIE's by age 16 or they get the boot.

Burt

You should have a midi-chlorian count done.. I bet they are off the charts combined! You may wake up one morning to find that they have constructed an R2 unit and their own light sabers! LoL

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

When they finish making the light sabers, can I have one?
..........use the force.......

MCSE CCNA CCDA

Burt,

You said - "Also, I saw a note written in crayon one morning..."Daddy, you forgot 'ip nat inside', idiot..."" :) :) :) :):) :):) :) I laughed all day with that one - people kept walking by my office and wondering what was so funny as I sat at my computer and snickered all day!!!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Here's something very cool---I was getting my 3 year old Sam dressed this morning, and for the first time, I noticed this---on the inside of his shoe is the company logo---"circo", and it is written EXACTLY like the new Cisco logo, except the spelling is an "r" rather than an "s"! I'll have to take a pic and show you! Here's a decent link for a pic of the logo...

Now tell me that isn't a sign...you guys are probably right then!

Burt

I wasn't joking about the midi-chlorian count! LoL

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

LoL... What, are you a Trekkie???

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

I'm a little disappointed....of course, could be a true fan of the original series were the midi-chlorians weren't mentioned.

I guess that's possible.. At least he knew what a light saber was.. LoL

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

That wasn't me that knew about a light sabre. By the way, I think it's "sabre", not "saber". And hell no I'm not a Trekkie! Oh, the humanity! I do love Monty Python and heavy metal, like Slayer...does that count?

Burt

Alright..gotta throw it out there. Anyone got the new Star Wars game for the Wii? The Force Unleashed, you get to use the Wii Remote as the light saber/sabre.

LoL.. You are a nut Buirt!

I haven't had a chance to play with that one Lerdalt.. It's funny, we are going to have a ton Trekkies in the forums now once Google crawls this thread! I blame Burt! Everyone knows he is a Star Trek hater! LoL

To further bring this thread way off topic.. Has anyone seen the movie "Fan Boys"? I saw the previews and it looked hilarious but can't seem to find it anywhere.. I guess I can eBay it! I think it's a Trekkie conspiracy!

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

CiscoGuy,
I know what you mean about Burt's comment.. My wife walked in yesterday and asked me what was so funny.. I realized I was reading your guys' posts! It was hilarious!!!

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

I just plan on using my Jedi mind tricks to keep the Trekkies out.

Of course..my favorite comment for fixing problems is "I used the Force

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back