Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco direction or MS direction? Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtech2008

MIS
Oct 6, 2008
US
I have been working in the field for two years now. If I had to boil down the many things I do, I would say I am a Windows Network Admin.

I asked a local owner of a tech company what certs they had found to be most useful in their career. They said Linux and Cisco (Cisco always good). They also added that Microsoft guys were a "dime a dozen".

If I want to get more training and certs in networking related tech, what is your advice/experience in relation to Cisco?

I have an impression (which may be 100% wrong) Cisco guys run all over setting up connections for networks and seldom stay in one location. I know I would rather be at one location or two maximum. So, what types of jobs are available once I have my Cisco certs started?

To someone who really has to work to gain knowledge, is Cisco light years more difficult than say MCSE MCSA?

Once up and running are the Cisco jobs harder to find?

Cisco for networking, definitely. I have never done any Microhard certs, so I wouldn't know how tough that is. Cisco jobs vary from one location as a network admin/tech to a consultant/engineer working at many locations. Getting a job depends on your experience and where you are located.

Burt

Well, I'm not sure if this counts as running around or not. I've been with the same company for 10 years now. Only been doing the Cisco thing for the last 4-5 and only the certs for the last 2-3. We have roughly 30-40 remote locations from our main office, and while there are some I might get to once a month, there are others I've never been to. My co-worker may have, but other than to install the router, I'm not aware of any trips.

Also, the farthest remote location is about 120 miles one way...not bad since it's all highway driving, and I'm lucky to usually be able to schedule the trips out a week or so in advance.

I can't compare with the MS certs, but I do think that Cisco cert was much harder than the Novell ones.

MS certs were harder than the Cisco certs Lerdalt?

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

Can't compare the MS certs. But Cisco was harder than Novell. Honestly can't say I know anyone that has done both the MS and Cisco certs.

I do know several that have done both the Cisco and Novell though.

I take that back, I do know someone that has done them both, but he's the kinda guy that can read the book and take the tests. Also not sure he's taken any of the recent exams for MS.

lerdalt,

I had an instructor here that had both his MCSE and his CCNA as well as A+ and Network + and he always said that the CCNA was harder then any Microsoft test, he would say that the CCNA would be like doing 2 MCSE exams!

He did say that the security cert CISSP was the hardest of all of them, he failed it first time through. He felt that the CISSP would be closer to CCNP or even CCIE based on his experience.

As far as working with Cisco certs, it is as with everything - some jobs are in one place and some move around, those that can and are willing to travel can tend to make more $$$$

I know many guys with Cisco certs that do not travel, at the college where I work, at the local international airport, at the university in town (Go Bulls) at Raymond James (brokerage) as well as many other businesses.

I will relate 1 more story, had a guy that worked with me that was MCSE and A+ - he said that he did not get any attention at the local tech job fairs until he got his CCNA - then EVERYONE wanted to talk to him!!

Cisco certs tend to carry a lot of respect with them - Microsoft got a lot of bad raps from all the "paper" MCSEs that flooded the market in the late 90's and early 2000.

Just some thoughts!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

I've got Microsoft and Cisco.

Individually, I'd say the Cisco tests are harder.

However with the MCSE at 7 tests, it's tough.

Working on my CCNP now...

MCSE CCNA CCDA

mtech, in my opinion the Microsoft exams and the Cisco exams focus on entirely different things. The MS stuff is more about your network infrastructure in terms of Active Directory, DNS, Group Policy, etc. where Cisco is more about how to make all of your different systems communicate and how to make that communication secure and efficient. I used to be 100% MS but once I laid hands on my first router it was like laying hands on my first woman ;-) . It just felt right lol.

To me the Microsoft exams are a joke. It seems like they try harder to trick you more than anything. Granted I've been around MS systems for quite a few years so understanding the topics was very easy for me. The thing to get used to on MS exams is how to interpret the question so that you can answer it the Microsoft way as opposed to what you may do in the real world. I smoked my CCNA exam and am currently working on CCNP (take BSCI on 10/30) and VCP (VMWare Certification).

I have interviewed may people for positions at my organization so take this for what it's worth; all things being equal, in my eyes, Cisco certs and experience with Cisco in general will always, ALWAYS, garner more attention and respect than Microsoft certs. However, viewpoints change depending on the type of job you are looking for.

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

Of course, which certs you go for depend on what you want to be when you grow up.

Do you want to be a PC/Server guy, then go with MS
Do you want to be a network guy, then go Cisco

In my opinion, Cisco will get you much further in the long run.

MCSE CCNA CCDA

dearingkr...so what about those of us that don't want to grow up? After all, I'm still a toys-r-us kid.

lerdalt:
Me too, I've got a lab full of toys: router, switches, firewalls, NASs, servers, PCs, receivers, encoders, etc.

That is, until my wife calls at 2am and says play-time is over.

MCSE CCNA CCDA

I know what you mean.. My wife occasionally brings me back from NetworkWorld to this plane every once in a while too!

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

Do not have the wife option - GF could care less how long I stayed up :)

I had a Timex Data Link watch several years back and I set the alarm to go off at 1:30AM and the message would scroll across the watch "GO TO BED!!!"

E.A. Broda

See what the trick is you lay down in bed and wait till they pass out and then you sneak out to setup your lab...it sucks but hey they never know...until you get busted but then you can always say "I couldn't sleep so i figured this would help" Works every time for me with the fiance.

I want one of those watches... LoL

Sneaky Bobby.. But that is a pretty good idea...

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

I have a 3 year old and 4 year old, both boys. I'm asleep by 10PM...

Burt

Hey Burt.
I wonder if your boys wait until you fall asleep at 10pm, and they go play in your lab.

MCSE CCNA CCDA

dearingkr,

Now that you mention it, most of the really good posts from burtsbees come after 11PM :) :)

Hmmmm - got to wonder :)

E.A. Broda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back