Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cisco certification...CCNA...then CCVP 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

garfld513

Technical User
Aug 22, 2007
US
Hi good people,

I am preparing for cisco certification.
I intend to go the CCENT route,ICND1&2(CCNA) and then CCVP
I happen to have the following equipment (ebay rules).
4X 2500
3X 1900
1x 2900
I was hoping someone could let me know the best way to set this up (a Home lab)with the certification path i am pursuing in mind.
My internet at home is via a DSL modem.I would appreciate responses,and advice to assist with achieving my goal.

What exact models? The 1900 series switches are useless...

Burt

Hi Burt,
3x2516
1x2521
2900 series XL
2x1924
Thanks

2912XL? 2924XL? Your best bet is a 2950, though the 2924's do work---a little different for vlans, as they have to be put into vlan database in a 2924 to work. More on that later...

Burt

Hi burt,
Sorry i didnt add this before now.
2900...2924XL.

thanks

garfld513,

You really will need a 2600xm or better so that you can do SDM - the new CCNA exam does cover the GUI as well as CLI.

Having a Fast Ethernet port will also help with trunking/VLans labs - "router on a stick".

The 2500s are still great in the mix for most the protocols you will see - max them out with 16mgs DRAM and 16 mgs FLASH for the best use!! The 2521 will make a great frame relay switch!

As far as the 1900s - Burt is right - they only might come in handy for "real world" practice - never know what some clients might still have in those closets.

Hope this helps!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

so guys,
i should get a coup,e of 2600s. what would the architecture be like..are there any diagrams you could share with me?

garfld513,

You would only need 1 2600xm with a WIC card with serial connections, with the rest - use the 2521 as a Frame Relay switch - connect the serial ports of the 2600xm and the 3 2516s to the 2521.

Connect the Fast Ethernet port on the 2600xm to the 2924 and if you want more networking hang the 2 1924s off the Ethernet ports on the 2516s. If you have several old PCs put 1 on the 2924 and 1 off each of the 2 1924s and you can practice end to end networking accross the FR switch (2521).

|
PC---2924---2600---2521---2516---1924---PC
|
|
|
PC
Hope this helps!

E.A. Broda

Thank you!
it helps a lot.and thank u for getting back with me.its always good to know people here are happy to share.:)

Hey guys,
I found a 2600 XM on ebay.Dude wants to sell the router @199, then a WIC 1T card for 70 bucks...does it sound like a good deal?
i want to setup this lab soon...need your advice on this.

garfld513,

Do you NOT know how to search eBay :) :)

I did a search for wic-1t - 28 for auction and 25 in the store and they run from $19 to $75 so I think he is a little high on the WIC-1T - or is this a packaged deal?

As for the 26xxXM - is it a 2610, 2611, 2620, 2621, 2650 or 2651XM? Whsat IOS does it have?, Does it have a face plate (normally worth about $16 discount)? How much DRAM? How much FLASH? Does it have rack ears? Any DOA warranty ?

I saw a few this weekend go for $175 range - right now on eBay I can "BUY IT NOW" - a 2610XM for $165 - I am not saying THIS ONE ON EBAY IS A GOOD DEAL - just that with a quick look you can see what others like he has are selling for - then READ THE AUCTION!!!!

Do a little homework - search eBay - it is not hard go to the wired routers section and put in "2610xm" and hit the Search button - WHAT DO YOU THINK WE DO WHEN YOU ASK!!!!

Then read the auctions - see what different people are selling for and what they say about the router - learn to read between the lines!

Very hard to comment with such general information, but I have tried my best!!!!

I hope this helps!

E.A. Broda

yeah,
thanks for pointing out my stupidity!i never did use the category tab on ebay,so i could never drill down to eith WIC-1T or the 26xxXM i wanted.

EA Broda,if you look at the architecture you put up ealier,and from what i could see on ebay,2610XM (IOS 12.4,face plate,and rack ears...)would be fine..with WIC-1T.

another question,would the max i could get for the 2610XM be 128MB DRAM and 32MB flash memory? and do you think i should just go ahead and get (2) WIC-1Ts? I will follow your advice, i need to get hands on so the concepts would be easier to understand before i do the exams.Thanks again ,and dont be pissed with my vague question....

Burt,

That one is good but this one I think is a bit better -

2610XM 128D 32F 12.4 IOS AND 2 WIC-1Ts for $179 (Buy-IT-Now)

I think a 2610XM and 2 WIC-1Ts is great because you have the Fast Ethernet as well as a router that can do SDM and it has 12.4 IOS - match this with 2 2501s maxed out doing 12.3 or a 2610 (I just got 2 2611s for $27 each) but then you would need to get another WIC-1T for it.

I think you have the idea - and sorry did not mean to jump on you on the search :) but I think you can see why you got to learn to search and drill down in both eBay and Google !!!!

Go buy some routers!

E.A. Broda

Hi guys!
just paid for it.i want to thank you guys again. i was looking through today like you said.good thing you passed this on,sweet deal...

Yeah...but be wary of that one...
"Also included with this router are two (2) WIC-1T serial modules that may be used for T1 connectivity, and a power cord."
Nope! WIC-1DSU-T1 is for T1, and the WIC-1T is for asynch connections! Also, the sh ver shows 128/32, but...

Memory
Installed RAM 96 MB
Installed Flash Memory 32 MB

Interesting...that IOS is advanced enterprise, and a newer revision that 12.4.7---12.4.7 will not allow a WIC-1ADSL, but 12.4.10 will. I know from first hand experience!

Burt

Burt,

Did not catch that with the 96Dram - but the pictures do tend to show it is a WIC-1T

He said "I used this router for CCIE study using the Internetworkexpert workbook. - he never said if he passed :) :)

Not sure which he bought - he did not buy the one I listed - there was one for $130 Buy-it-Now!!

With Ebay - you just got to search through all the 2610XMs and then 2620XMs and then 2650XMs etc. - make notes - read between the lines, see what these people are selling or buying and what others have said about them. Look it all over and then hope for the best.

Some of the best deals are if you wait them out and bid at last moment - I still think it funny to see people bidding on stuff with 2-3 days left - like it matters that they are top bidder with 2 days to go, or those that keep bidding and you have a "buy-it-now" for $20 less - they get caught up in the bidding ....... or do not know how to search ebay and that there are several cheaper with a "buy-it-now"!!

Just some thoughts!!

E.A. Broda

Burt,
I bought the one you suggested...E.A Broda you are on point with your analysis, but you will agree with me it comes with experience.once i get the router i will put them together,and we can talk about the real stuff.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back