Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cicso Catalyst 2800 series

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidf88

Programmer
Dec 14, 2008
GB
Hi Guys,

This is my first post on this forum, but hopefully the first of many.

Currently in our office, we have a cisco phone system. Now for about the past 12 months we hired a support company to take care of the running of the equipment. However, after their numerous no-shows and also many days when our whole phone system was offline we have decided to give them the boot and the majority of management has been given over to me.

After 20 minutes of re-configuring our phone system, I had sorted about 99% of the problems and issues that the support company said they could not fix, or it was going to take them days to fix.

Now for the parts I am stuck at. :)

Ringers:
Currently we have the very boring, standard cisco ring tone on our phones. My boss ( A very adventurous man) wants to be able to customise these and his number one demand is to get the "24" theme ringer on the phone system.

That was problem number one.

The next problem :

Music on hold tracks.
I seem to be totally lost in this area, give me vlans, users, extensions or phones to configure. But configuring the music on hold is becoming a more and more daily painful task of going round and round in circles not being able to understand the functionality and therefore not being able to do anything about it.

Hope you guys can help, I have noticed that a lot of you defiantly know your stuff when it comes to cisco stuff. SO basically any help would be absolutely amazing :)

Cheers

For the ringers, if you have CCM 6.X or above, use the Cisco Phone Designer. It will let everyone use whatever ringers they want and is EASY!!!! If you are below that version of CCM the only problem is that EVERYONE gets the same ringer selection which may or may not be an issue.

For MOH, in CCM 4.1 or below, you could assign different MOH files per Device Pool. On CCM 6.1, it's done a little different way. I don't have a system in front of me right now but I believe it's done in Device Templates??

A word of caution about MOH. Be very careful what you use. If you use a copyrighted song or a live radio feed, you can be sued for 'rebroadcasting' it illegally.

Thanks for your response.

What I am really wanting to know is a more basic user solution. As in how do I actuallyt get the files onto the system.

Nobody really minds having the same ringer tone. At the moment that is what we have set up.

I know this might be something to do with TFTP servers, but yet again this is wel out with my knowledge.

Any help is gratious :)

Cheers

What version CCM are you using? If it is 4.X then there is a Folder on your hard drive called DropMusicOnHoldFilesHere and that is what you want to do, drag and drop, do not copy and paste. Don't know what the difference is exactly. Here is a link on creating custom rings
Search CCO for your CCM version and 'Features and Services Guide' In this file will be how to do MOH and custom rings plus every other feature available.

I don't know if this is appropriate but I have CME version 4

Don't know if that helps at all :s

Also as for dragging and dropping the file.

Currently the only access I have been using in through the web interface and telnet(which is not my forte)

just tftp the ringtones you want to the flash. I have CME 4 running in my lab and thats all that I do you can also add backgrounds that way do a sh flash and you should be able to see all the files loaded onto the system for the phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back