Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

chkdsk wont run ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob2

Programmer
Jul 3, 2000
SE
Hi

I try to run chkdsk the next time the pc reboots but when it does, nothing happends. chkdsk never starts. And when Ity to run diskeeper it says chkdsk i set to run next reboot. But as I said it never starts....

What should I do?

Regards

M

All,

This issue made me re-examine exactly how the NT boot process worked; for example, at what point is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

called, and what drivers and services do and could exist prior to this call (where autochk is called).

I will not bore the uninterested, but I did find the answer I think (not to the original posters question, per se, but as to what drivers and services are initiliazed prior to the call).

Recommended for the interested:

For this particular question, see the SMSS intialization protion of boot described by Mark Russinovich (Winternals & Sysinternals fame):

Do not miss clicking on the link to Part 1 of the whole series.

It was after linney's suggetion of possible service or Run key issues that I explored this. After reading this article my finger pointing at Diskeeper should be clearer as a guess.

Bill

Hi

I have now reinstalled the whole system, and I tryed to schedule a chkdsk. But it did not start during reboot. So I guess the diskeeper was not to blame here.

/M

If you did a R(epair) installation, or what is also called an "In-Place Upgrade" this result is not surprising.

A thought came across me, maybe it's the Norton Antivirus 2004 Pro that is to blame here. Beacuse when I tryed to run boot time defragmentation, diskeeper couldnt' get eclusive access to the disk. So somethings else stop chkdsk from running.....

Aaaaaauggghhhh.... as bcastner runs from the room pulling his hair out.

I know from the newsgroups that many are less than happy with NAV 2004. The only sane way to test this is to uninstall, or use MSCONFIG to disable, the NAC stuff from starting.

I will warn you that a regular Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, does not always cleanly remove Diskeeper.

I believe there are some manual uninstall instructions on the Executive Software site for Diskeeper.

No I did not do a repair. I made a clean installation. I'm getting pretty fed up with this right now. But when I did this installation I also made a ghost copy that I can use, so I don't have to reinstall it all again. Its getting kinda late here now so maybe I'll do that tomorrow.

Maybe we'll talk again then...

Cheers

/M

Hi

I now have the system up and running again, this time without any Norton Antivirus 2004 Pro. And I can with relief say that I succesfully scheduled and ran a chkdsk /f on c:

So the conlusion will have to be, don't install NAV 2004 if you want to run scheduled chkdsk.

Regards

M

Good job.
I will remember this thread.

Merry Christmas,
Bill

Hi Bob!!

Thanks for your extensive reserach on the chkdsk vs. NAV issue...

The exact same thing is happening to me and alerady kept me awake one night...

Have you found a way to solve this besides avoiding installing NAV 2004 Pro? or is there a way of preventing temporarily NAV 04 to run the next time I boot ? (i.e. msconfig)

What happens is that I don't want to install XP again, but I do want to run chkdsk at least once.

Thanks

You could try running Chkdsk from Safe Mode and see if that works or perhaps a better option would be to load the Recovery Console and run it from there.

Hi

I'm sorry to sayt, the only way to run it when I had NAV 04 installed was to run it from the recovery console. But I ended up uninstalling NAV 2004 and now use F-Secure instead.

Best Regards

M

Thank you Bob and Linney !!

After several intents I decided tu uninstall NAV 2004 and load NAV 2003... I will research this a bit further to see if Symantec addresses the issue.

Thank you!!!

I had the same problem and found that I could just change the options in NAV to not run at login and chkdsk would then run when it was supposed to. But the output to the screen flies by so fast at the end that I can't tell if it found a problem or fixed it.

Is there some way to get a file created that logs what is going on, that I can look at after xp has come up?

The reason I'm interested is that when I run chkdsk in the normal console window after xp comes up it still says "Windows found problems with the file system" (this after several rounds of having chkdsk /F (I assume it is running as /F) run at boot time).

Is there a way to get it to tell me what the problems are?

What file system fixing utilities do you recommend?

And by the way I cannot seem to run the recovery console because it will not recognize as valid the administrator password that I put in when I installed xp the first time.

any ideas?

thanks so much for all the generous time put in by the folks who answer these questions

. a log file is created for a chkdsk operation.

c:\documents and settings\[username]\local settings\temp\Scanresults.txt

. for Recovery Console, you can enable Autologon by the Administrator:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows N\CurrentVersion\SetupRecoveryConsole]
Value Name: SecurityLevel
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: (0 = require password, 1 = no password)

. pre-install Recovery Console, and use the Group Policy Editor to ahead of time increase its flexibility:

I too had the problem of chkdsk not running at restart. I am also running Norton 2004. I finally found an option under advanced in the anti virus options that enables auto protect at boot time. I disabled this and all is well!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back