Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

chkdsk wont run ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob2

Programmer
Jul 3, 2000
SE
Hi

I try to run chkdsk the next time the pc reboots but when it does, nothing happends. chkdsk never starts. And when Ity to run diskeeper it says chkdsk i set to run next reboot. But as I said it never starts....

What should I do?

Regards

M

Is your program "Disk Keeper" conflicting with Chkdsk? If not that program is there anything else that is not allowing Chkdsk sole access to the drive at boot?

Will Chkdsk run if you try Safe Mode?

If I run chkdsk /v I get this...

The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is DISK1_VOL1.

WARNING! F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
File verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
Index verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...
Cleaning up 6 unused index entries from index $SII of file 9.
Cleaning up 6 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 9.
Cleaning up 6 unused security descriptors.
Security descriptor verification completed.

7164958 KB total disk space.
3979604 KB in 22463 files.
5820 KB in 1481 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
62834 KB in use by the system.
37888 KB occupied by the log file.
3116700 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
1791239 total allocation units on disk.
779175 allocation units available on disk.

I will try to run chkdsk /f in safe mode and see if it works. By the way, When I ran the "SCF /SCANNOW" It seemed that it did replace some files, it did anyway ask for the xp cd. Do I need to be concerned considering I now have win xp sp 1 and all hotfixes applied. Have Windows in that case replaced new files with older from the cd?

Regards

M

It will not replace newer with older files.
It keeps a store of all needed versions, and a database of all versions.

When I schedule a chkdsk and run safe mode it do something (my hd is working) but I don't get any message on the screen. And then it reboot. When I then check the registry, the scheduled chkdsk is gone. So maybe it have made a chkdsk, ho knows...

283340 - Chkdsk in Read-Only Mode Does Not Detect Corruption on NTFS Volume

If you start Chkdsk using the method of right-clicking your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking, you can select check boxes to automatically check for, and fix any found errors.

Some other process maybe trying to access the drive. The process of writing this file places a lock that prevents Chkdsk.exe from gaining exclusive access to the disk. Because Chkdsk.exe does not have exclusive access to the disk, Chkdsk.exe cannot run. To Isolate what is running at Start up use the Msconfig option. This might help you too.

Windows XP Professional starts logon scripts, startup programs, and services referenced in these registry subkeys and folder locations:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Runonce
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer\Run
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\Run
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Description of the Windows System File Checker Tool (Q310747)

I have seen some anecdotal references to a problem of running SFC and replacing newer files with older versions of files but nothing definite.

If you look in your Event Viewer (Application and System) you should find mention of running SFC and mention of any files replaced. The fact that SFC asked for your XP CD could be that it was just checking and comparing files.

Hi btcastner

I wasn't bale to install that patch, since I allready have service pack 1 installed.

/M

Sorry, you are right that the patch is included in SP1.

I find it difficult to accept that a startup program, or any program in the Run keys of the registry can affect this process.

As was commented to a Raxio engineer in the newsgroups who suggested the possibility of service interference with autochk: "Windows NT does not run any of the files Autoexec.bat, Config.sys, Msdos.sys, Io.sys or Command.Com at startup. Since it is a genuine 32bit system, this can´t be done. What NT does is running certain programs it finds in the registry branch HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Session Manager\Boot Execute Those are special programs which use the native API (neither console, nor POSIX, nor win32) of NT."

I remain a little baffled by this. Is the Event Log completely silent about what happens?

I don't see a thing in the event viewr about this. I did find this page at executive software

And it pretty much fit in to my problem. But I dont have any of the services mentioned there so according to that page I'm faced with have to reinstall xp...

I'm not that fund of doing that again. It seems that it should be easy to solve.

One question though, is chkdsk c: /f the same as chkdsk /r ?

Regards

M

So since the only way right now for me to run chkdsk is toghether with the recovery console, I wont be able to run chkdsk c: /f

The only option I have in recovery console is the /r switch and that one wont help me....

In Recovery Console:

CHKDSK
chkdsk drive /p /r

The chkdsk command checks the specified drive and, if necessary, repairs or recovers the drive. The command also marks bad sectors and recovers readable information.

You can use these options:
/p : Does an exhaustive check of the drive and corrects any errors.
/r : Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information.

Note that if you specify the /r option, the /p option is implied. Specifying the chkdsk command without arguments checks the current drive, with no options in effect.

Running the chkdsk command requires use of the Autochk.exe file. CHKDSK automatically locates this file in the startup folder. If the Command Console was preinstalled, the startup folder is typically the Cmdcons folder. If CHKDSK cannot find Autochk.exe in the startup folder, CHKDSK tries to locate the Windows CD-ROM installation media. If it cannot find the installation media, CHKDSK prompts you for the location of the Autochk.exe file.

So, /p = /f in command mode essentially.

Not sure what this mean, but I have Tweak XP pro 3 installed on my system. And when I checked the disk within that program, it scheduled a chkdsk and ran it when I rebooted....

/M

Hi

I ran chkdsk /p /r in recovery console mode and it found and corrected one or more errors :-D

/M

One of the reasons I wanted to run chkdsk was beacuse my newly installed system sometimes completly freeze. The mouse and keyboard stop responding, and I'm left with the reset button.

I guess I should post this problem as a new post, but I'll take my chances.

even though chkdsk found and corrected errors on the disk, this freeze problem still occurs. And the event viewer is completly clean, no errors reported at all.

Regards

M

I really think Diskeeper is ultimately to blame for the chkdsk issue.

From the 7.0 Documentation: "For Windows NT, 2000 and XP systems, Diskeeper requires exclusive access to the MFT (master file table), paging file and directories, so clean-up tasks can only be safely run during the boot sequence. Boot-Time Defragmentation runs three activities to defragment the MFT and paging file and consolidate directories into a single location."

So if the boot-time defragmentation is selected as an option, no chkdsk.

On to other issues... a new thread is a better idea than continuing here. But "freeze" issues without an Event Log entry to me mean:

. RAM issues, and/or
. Video Driver issues, and/or
. USB issues, particularly scanners.

Do a memory test: Update your video drivers.
Hotfix the USB ports: And see if any of the following hardware items apply:

It do sound like diskeeper is to blame here, I guess you don't use it yourself? Do you use any other that you can recommend?

Hi!
I use perfectdisk-6 from Raxco , never had any probs with it .

When I installed my system I also installed the video driver from nvidia ver 52.16. I have now uninstalled it and replaced it with the one from windows update. Let's see how it works. None of the other things that you mentioned applied on my system so I guess it was the video driver.

I have never heard of perfect disk before, maybe I should try that one instead...

Actually I do use Diskeeper Workstation, Version 7.427, and it seems to do a competent job. I must admit that it is very rare I have had or wanted to do a chkdsk, and my instinct is to always do this inside the Recovery Console.

As to the freeze issue, an extended RAM test (let it run overnight) is a very good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back