Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CHKDSK Runs Every Startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

varuna

Technical User
Mar 5, 2002
GB
I have Windows XP sp1a. CHKDSK runs everytime the computer starts. The check is run against my F: drive.

The disk is partitioned as such:

two partitions (C: & F:) Boot partition is C: (I think). I do also receive an error about no boot file found on C: but then boots up with no problems (apart from chkdsk).

Various MS articles suggest that it is caused by a corrupt registry but I am dubious about the steps they suggest, I would rather do a full reinstall, or fix it some other way.

The check returns no errors.

Anyone had similar problems?

No Pain No Gain

I'm assuming that you have read the article which suggests the recovery of the registry.

I have known this to fix the problem that you are describing at the moment, why are you dubious?

If you really do not want to try the registry repair you could try an "Inplace Upgrade" of XP. This will repair/Restore XP's key files but will leave your files and settings intact.

Greg Palmer
Free Software for Adminstrators

Thanks for the speedy response Greg, I have seen the article you mentioned. I am dubious because the symptoms do not match my scenario ie, i have not upgraded and i have no HP scanner.

Now I know that people have done this and it's worked I may give it a go tonight (after a thorough backup).

No Pain No Gain

If you want an alternative to the Microsoft steps you could try "Cannot Boot Windows due to Corrupt Registry" faq779-5362

It's basically the same thing but makes the process easier if you need to do it several times.

Greg Palmer
Free Software for Adminstrators

Thanks again Greg, not sure which one to use now. Probably MS method first. I'll post back and let you know how I get on.

Cheers

No Pain No Gain

Excellent mr castner,

this looks interesting also and not half as much hassle...

I'll post tomorrow with results.

Thanks to all for input.

No Pain No Gain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back