Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Checkdisk On Startup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybercerber

Technical User
Aug 2, 2002
GB
HI,
I have a bit of an anoying problem, I have 3 Hard Disk Drives in my system, Labeled C:, D:, & E: Everytime I boot my system, I get a message saying that a Check Disk has been sceduled for drive E: even if I let the check disk compleate, Everytime I re-boot I get the same message! Can some one please help me, as I know it isn't a major problem, but it is rather annoying.

Regards
Mick

Michael Holroyd
MCSE Network Engineer
Megabyte Computer Services LTD

I will give you the registry entry to make, but I want to start with emphasizing that the problem could well be a problem with the drive. It is recommended that you do the following form of chkdsk, and it will reset any entries for an autocheck as well.

There are several registry entries made when autocheck is enabled. Clearing this entry should clear the remainder. If you do not find this value, the link above suggests that windows detects a problem with your drive.

To change this behavior: Go to Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

In the list look for "SFCScan", this should be set to (0) if it is set to (1) the scan will happen at every boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back