Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing Program Startup Sequence during Bootup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexschmidt

IS-IT--Management
Jan 26, 2003
ZA
I have five programs that startup automatically during bootup. My virus scanner starts last and I would like to have it start first in the hope the firewall being able to pick up a pesky unwanted startup of something that wants to immediatly connect via dialup. Pressing 'Stay Offline' anything between 5 and 20 times removes it and funny enough it does not appear at every boot, just randomly. Anyway the firewall, should the AV start first, should pick up the connection attempt and offer me the usual option of permanently refusing the connection. By the way, if you allow the connect to continue you end up with a 404 error which doesnt help in attempting to trace the culprit.
Anyone know how to change the startup sequence of the programs or possibly have another solution?
Thanks

There are registry keys and such that contain the start-up information and if you reorder these then it may achieve the result that you require. The main registry keys are:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

and

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

However I have not tried this so it may not work.

Greg Palmer

----------------------------------------
Any feed back is appreciated.

I'd play with msconfig before I mess with the registry. Start with disabling all start up items. Add them back in one bybone until the problem appears. When you find it, don't check that one and add the rest back in. If the system works OK then do some research on the "problem" one.

If you are worried about a rogue program starting with your computer then download a good piece of software called Hijack This. It shows you what programs start with the computer and IE. You can download it from when you have downloaded it you can take a look at for details on what the scan means.

Alternativly you can create a start-up log in the config section and post the log here for assistance.

Greg Palmer

----------------------------------------
Any feed back is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back