Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing colors from 16 to 256!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mef930

MIS
Apr 30, 2003
I'm running win98 SE and I'm trying to change the colors from 16 bit to 256 colors but it will not change. When I go to the Display properties and the dropdown window only have 16 colors or 2 colors. Can someone tell me how to change the from 16 colors to 256 colors?

Thanks

This is done by changing the driver for the video chipset. Your computer manual should have some documentation that explains it.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

I don't have a manual for my computer. It was purchased used. That's why I'm having alot of trouble. Do I need to upgrade the driver for the monitor? Let me know what I need to do to get 256 colors.

Thanks for the help.

You need to run a program like Belarc Advisor to tell you what chipset or vendor's card is in your computer, then go on the web to find the driver.
You possibly could use debug and search the video BIOS for the chipset name.
Or post the name and model of the computer if it is name brand and another owner may be able to help you.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Howdy:

What edfair is trying to tell you is that you need the drivers for your video card, not the monitor..

Murray

And for good measure to the comments already made by eminent techies, I will add that 256 colours are yucky whereas 16bit colours are excellent. I can therefore only assume that you're wanting to play a game which advises 256 colours, frankly I would not bother.

Kind regards

Phil

COB,
He has 16 colors, standard VGA stuff. He wants 256 or higher.

Ed Fair

Hello

now this may not be what you want to hear, but...

I had the exact same problem with my machine: it only displayed up to 16 colours and i had to run an application that required 256 (i didn't have an alternative solution ot this problem).

i tried what was suggested here: first, i found the driver of the chipset. then i downloaded & re-installed it, but to no avail. windows doesn't seem to like that kind of thing...

So in the end, i had to go to a shop and but a new video card that was compatible with my machine, install it and set it to 256 colours. it was a waste of money and i blame Bill Gates for it, but at least it did the job. :)

Sorry i couldn't be of more help
TheSaltyDuke

[pipe]

It isn't that windows doesn't like that sort of thing. There are at least 3 different ways that drivers can be installed, and if you don't use the right way it doesn't happen.
The choice is made by the people writing the driver software.

Ed Fair

I will download an updated video driver. I'm trying to install Adobe Photoshop, and it needs 256 colors. I hope that the new driver helps.

Thanks

i really need help i dont kno what a chip set and all that is i only have 16 colors and i need 256 i had it before and something happened and i really need you to explain in details what i need to do i will be so greatful thank you.

And in the new thread will you give us some more information. Like what kind of computer and what OS.

Ed Fair

Whats your monitor size. If your monitor is to small your video card will not allow you to change higher res or to milions of colors. If you do have a larger monitor,You might try updating drivers for it and / or your video card.

mef930 , you stated that you use to have 256 and you simply want it back...correct?

1. Right-click the desktop, and then choose Properties from the pop-up menu.
2. In the Display Properties dialog box, click the Settings tab, and then click Advanced.
3. Select the Adapter tab, make a note of the Adapter Type the computer is currently using, and then click Change.
4. In the Update Device Driver Wizard dialog box, click Next.
5. Select "Display a list of all the drivers in a specific location, so you can select the driver you want," and then click Next.
6. Select Show All Hardware.
***Note: Standard Display Adapter (VGA) video drivers display only 16 colors. Switch to Super VGA for applications that require a minimum of 256 colors (e.g., Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Premiere).***

8. Click Yes to confirm that you want to use this driver.
9. Click Next, and then follow the on-screen instructions to install the driver. You may need to insert your Windows 98 CD-ROM.
10. Click the Monitor tab, make a note of the Monitor Type you're currently using, and then click Change.
11. In the Update Device Driver Wizard dialog box, click Next.
12. Select "Display a list of all the drivers in a specific location, so you can select the driver you want," and then click Next.
13. Select Show All Hardware.
14. Select the Monitor Types from the top of the Manufacturers scroll box.
15. Select Super VGA from the Models scroll box, and then click Next.
16. Click Next, and then follow the on-screen instructions to install the driver. You may need to insert your Windows 98 CD-ROM.
To revert to the previous video driver, select the Adapter Type and Monitor Type you noted in steps 3 and 10.

Thanks compgirlfhredi for the information. I'm going to try those steps you stated. I hope this will work, I'll let you know.

Thanks

mef930 and
ttssmycomputer

As it has been mentioned.....
It would be NICE to KNOW your System/OperSys/Monitor info (look at the sticker on the back)......and a heck of a lot easier too.......

It would be nice if you have a Win98 CD too .....which has many generic and proprietary drivers.

First...you could go to Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools> Right click System Information and choose send> to desktop(create shortcut)........Now you have a shortcut to access SysInfo anytime; which you can delete anytime you want (It's only a shortcut, not the program)...
In the left pane.....
Double click "Components".....then
Double Click "Display"......
look for your video card and driver info in right pane.....choose 'advanced' if necessary.....

Second.......Hopefully you have Win98 CD..........you can right click My Computer , choose properties>Device Manager>choose "view devices by type".....go to and double click "Display"......and whatever 'display adapter' is beneath it.........click it once then click Remove (towards the bottom)......
It'll ask you if your sure......say yes......and restart.....and Windows will prompt you when you restart for a place to find drivers.......when you choose "search/find/update".....you'll see 4 check boxes......Direct it to/Check the box to CD-ROM drive only and uncheck others and let Windows choose the adapter......

Third..........you can try this;

Either print this out or write it down....

Click Start>Shutdown>Restart in ms-dos mode.....
when your pc reboots....if your at C:\>.....jump down one line...

If you're at C:\WINDOWS.....type CD\ hit enter....now your at C:\......

At the C:\> type debug......hit Enter....when at the hash "-"....
type;
d c000:0040 hit Enter (those are Zeros not "letter o's")...
(that's "d" space "c000:0040").....

notice the info on right pertaining to Video Card (make, model, chipset, etc)......

type;
d c000:0090 hit Enter

notice more info on right pertaining to Video Card......

type "q" hit Enter to exit debug program ('q' as in 'quit')......

you're at the C:\> prompt......type;
CD WINDOWS ....hit enter......now your at C:\WINDOWS......
type; EXIT ......hit Enter
and the Pc will reboot to Windows

TT4U
Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

I'm still having the same problem with changing my display to get 256 colors. I'm trying to update my video display driver but it says I have a Standard PCI Graphics Adapter. How to I find an update for this? Here are my specs.

Windows 98 SE
Micro-Star Pentium w/MMX 200 MHZ
4 GB Hard Drive
160 MB RAM

If the update don't work I don't know if it can be upgraded if I buy a new video card. Can someone help me out on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back