Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing colors from 16 to 256!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mef930

MIS
Apr 30, 2003
I'm running win98 SE and I'm trying to change the colors from 16 bit to 256 colors but it will not change. When I go to the Display properties and the dropdown window only have 16 colors or 2 colors. Can someone tell me how to change the from 16 colors to 256 colors?

Thanks

mef930:

The advantage of getting the driver from SiS's website is that you can be sure you're getting the latest one (last updated in 1999) - AND IT'S FREE!

Sorry if the link in my last post doesn't work for you. It still works for me, although it's probably pulling from a cached setting. Here's what you can do:

1) Go to 2) Choose Graphics Drivers under Start Here.
3) To the right, select Other SiS series IGP.
4) Select Windows 98 SE and click "go".
5) Step through the agreement by ticking the "I agree" box and selecting your country.
6) At this point, you should be at the URL I linked to in my last post. Scroll down to SiS 5597/5598 and click "Download Now".
7) The download should start automatically, so just choose where you want to save the ZIP file (this file is just over 7MB).

Now that you've got the file, there are just a couple more steps you need to take.

I. Assuming that you have a program like Winzip installed, unzip the file into a temporary folder.
II. Then follow these instructions (which are in the readme file):

[blue]# Windows 98 (Display Driver Installation)
1. Click "Start" menu and select Control Panel from Settings group.
2. Select "Display" icon.
3. Select "Settings" index in the display properties sheet.
4. Select "Change Display Type" button.
5. Select "Change..." button in "Adapter Type" group.
6. Select "Have Disk" button.
7. When the "Install from Disk" dialog box appears, browse to the directory you unzipped the drivers and click "OK".
8. When the "Change Display" dialog box appears, click "Close".
9. Select "Close" or "Apply" button from display properties sheet.
10. A message will appear stating you must restart the windows 98 system, select "yes" to restart.[/blue]

Good Luck!
[thumbsup2]

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Cdogg;
Sorry bout the confusion
It's prolly my high security/browser settings then....some pages don't load, and that's fine with me. If and when I really really need to, then I'll mess with them or fire up the inevitable IE browser.

Good point on the 7 MB d/l -- cause I d/l the AGP ZIP set for 98/ME from that soyo.com.tw site to open it and see what's in it...and it's about 850K or so, if I remember correctly....anyway the Readme.txt and .inf file suggested AGP Bridge completely, so I canned it...

Then I went to D/l the 95 ZIP from same site, and it is approx. 6.8 MB....so that's prolly the correct file as well, as the size is a clue.....and yes -- the SIS site should have the correct drivers (I was assuming since MSI is taiwanese, well the files "seemed" correct , and may very well be -- just deciding which ZIP to d/l and install)
BTW...the ZIPs are nice compared to the self install/ configure it yourself with the mish-mosh of files.

mef930;
How ya makin out...?

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back