Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CE9 and CSV files

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris35

Technical User
Apr 21, 2003
US
Hello,

we are trying to migrate from Info 7.5 (CR8) to CE9. We currently run about 100 reports off a daily query run. Since CE9 does not support queries, we are moving to using a daily report that saves to a CSV file and then run our reports off that file. Everything works fine up to the point of scheduling a report that runs off the CSV file. When a report tries to run, there is an immediate failure with the following stats:

Printer: The instance is not printed.

External Destination: None

Start Time: 10/19/2004 11:48:57 AM

End Time: 10/19/2004 11:48:59 AM

Server Used: PHSCRWEB3.report

Error Message: Unable to connect: incorrect log on parameters. File E:\Program Files\Crystal Decisions\Enterprise 9\Data\procSched\PHSCRWEB3.report\~tmpe48394e244e9c0.rpt.

We have not been able to figue this out and neither has our Laboratory system vendor.

Any help would be much appreciated.

What is a daily query run?

And what are these queries that CE doesn't support, do you mean Crystal SQL Designer Queries?

Seems bizarre that a CSV file is the solution because CE9 doesn't support a Crystal Query, especially because it does:

I wouldn't suggest using them, nor would I suggest using a CSV.

It sounds like your vendor is using a process to generate a CSV, I suggest that you request that they build an Access database instead, or you can import the CSV into an Access database and create an Access query(ies?) to handle whatever complexity you require, and then base the report off of an Access query.

This all sounds like bad engineering to me, be wary of your vendors solutions. And please try to post specifics and avoid phrases like "CE9 does not support queries", it's wrong, especially because a query is a SQL statement used by almost every database, and certainly Crystal will support them.

-k

Okay, let me clarify. I am talking about a SQL designer query. We were informed by our vendor that "CE does not support the process of scheduling queries (SQL Design queries) and using the resulting .qry file as a data source for subsequent scheduled Crystal reports."

So....we are replacing the .qry files we use in Info (which has been very successful, BTW) with a .CSV file as a data source for our reports. As per our IS vendor's suggestion.

Our vendor is not generating anything, we are running a report that saves a copy in .csv format and then we have other reports that we need to run off the .csv file as the data source.

Resultant qry files as data sources, got it.

Your current error might be a connectivity issue with regards to permissions.

The CE server will have to be able to hit the same directory that the CSV is in.

At any rate I'd consider building a real database rather than a CSV.

You'll gain numerous advantages, such as indexing, a faster database engine and more querying capabilities.

I'm still curious as to the data source and why you can't use Views or SPs on the database as your datasource if you were able to use Crystal Queries.

Another option is to link (NOT import) the tables into an Access database and using a query in the Access database as your data source, it'll be easier to code/maintain and faster to execute.

-k

We have numerous reports that go directly to the data base. But running most of our reports off a query minimizes the time that the database is accessed directly and saves system resources.

I agree that permissions on the server seems to be the issue here.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back