Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cd rom not found

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hello all!!

I have a problem now! "My computer" doen't show e:. DOS dosn't even recognize e: (at the command prompt). The following was actually found in autoexec.bat's last line

REM ** LOADHIGH C:\CDROM\MSCDEX.EXE /D:CD1

I changed it to C:\CDROM\MSCDEX.EXE /D:CD1. No improvement.

The cd-rom is creative PC-DVD Dxr2. O/S is Win98. I tried to do "Add new hardware" process but, it gives me a list of CD-roms such as mitsumi, sony but not this particular CD-ROM.

As this computer is also used by several other people, I have no idea of what had happenned to it. Do I have to download controllers? or Is it a hardware problem?

I would appreciate if you could give me some instructions regarding this.

Thanks!!

Look in your CONFIG.SYS file in the root of C: and maybe there is a line REM'd out like this:-

rem DEVICE=C:\CDROM\YOUR_CD.SYS /D:CD1

The "YOUR_CD.SYS" will be the driver needed so this device can be initially configured as a CD-ROM drive. If this line isn't in your CONFIG.SYS file, check your sub-dir C:\CDROM for a driver called ?????.SYS and edit your file to include this driver. Don't forget to reboot to load this driver.

Good luck!

ROGER - GØAOZ.

cdnf,

Right-click on My Computer, choose properties, click the Device Manager tab. Does CDROM show up?

Go to Start>Settings>ControlPanel>Multimedia. Is there a letter assigned?

Do you use TweakUI or something similar that allows a drive to be hidden?

reghakr

Further to the above, if you specifically want it to work at the DOS level, then add LASTDRIVE=Z to the CONFIG.SYS file.

ROGER - GØAOZ.

Hello!!

I checked my config.sys. It has everything already. I have SEVERAL .SYS FILES IN C:\CD-ROM. There is TEAC_CDI.SYS in c:\cdrom. I guess it is the one you are talking about. So, I guess something else should be done.

Thanks!!

At the end of the config.sys line you edited,
it should read /E:CD1 I hope this helps.
DocDorow

This is only half the driver that enables drive access. There should also be a line in autoexec.bat that assigns drive. This was the line that was remmed in the autoexec.bat.
In dos , you should get a report of what cd is found by the rom driver loaded from config.sys preceded by a line showing what driver is attempted.
Run your DOS boot with the [F8] key to slow down the boot and tell us what messages you are getting.
Consider that the cd may have gone bad.
Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

DocDorow, please excuse me if I'm wrong, but I believe the /D:xxx relates to the driver being loaded and not the drive letter (E:\>). I think if you want to assign a specific drive letter you use /L:H which would give the drive "Letter" H:\> - at least that's my understanding... Please feel free to put me right!

ROGER - GØAOZ.

You may be right, but I can't find that in my notes.
About the driver for that device, go to Creatives'
web site and you should be able to find the latest
driver there. Install it and let me know if that works.
DocDorow

Yes, GØAOZ is right.

Try using the generic DOS driver named oakcdrom.sys.

Here's a sample for autoexec.bat
C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD000

Here's a sample for Config.sys
Device=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\OAKCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD000

You can use the generic oakcdrom.sys from the Win98 boot disk. Just copy it to c:\windows\command and you can use the above exactlty as it stands.

reghakr

Sorry for being late!!

Thank you all for helping me. This is the present situation:

config.sys:

DEVICEHIGH=C:\CDROM\TEAC_CDI.SYS /D:CD1
DEVICE=C:\CDROM\HIMEM.SYS /TESTMEM:OFF
DEVICE=C:\CDROM\EMM386.EXE NOEMS
DOS=HIGH,UMB
FILES=20
LASTDRIVE=Z
DEVICE=C:\SBCD\DRV\SBIDE.SYS /D:MSCDOO1 /P:1FO,14 /V

autoexec.bat:

C:\SBCD\DRV\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCDOO1 /V /M:8
@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $P$G
PATH=C:\;C:\UBTEMP;
C:\CDROM\MSCDEX.EXE /D:CD1

-----------------------------------------------

I haven't tried changing D: to E:. The system gives the following messages.

TEAC CD-ROM Not found (Invalid parameter]

Creative No Drivers abort installation

Device driver not found /D:MSCDOO1 No valid CD-ROM drivers selected
Device driver not found /D:CD1 No valid CD-ROM drivers selected

By the way, himem.sys, teac_cdi etc.. are all found in appropriate locations as shown above.

Well!, regarding the oakcdrom.sys, I have a boot disk here. I have seen the whole bootdisk. I even searched it. I don't find it in the bootdisk[a:]. I can't use any CDs here.

I changed D: to E:. It gives me different errors on ths screen.

COMMANDLINE ERROR!
EXPANDED MEMORY .....
DRIVER NOT FOUND ...

So, I am changing them back to D:

By the way, at c: if i type E:, it says: Invalid drive specification.

Thanks all

Change the above lines to these;

config.sys
DEVICEHIGH=C:\CDROM\TEAC_CDI.SYS /D:MSCDOO1

autoexec.bat:
C:\SBCD\DRV\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCDOO1

reghakr

If it's a Creative drive then I don't think you'll want the TEAC driver loaded. Alter files to read thus:

config.sys:

DEVICE=C:\CDROM\HIMEM.SYS /TESTMEM:OFF
DEVICE=C:\CDROM\EMM386.EXE NOEMS
DOS=HIGH,UMB
FILES=20
LASTDRIVE=Z
DEVICE=C:\SBCD\DRV\SBIDE.SYS /D:MSCDOO1 /P:1FO,14 /V

autoexec.bat:

pause
C:\SBCD\DRV\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCDOO1 /V /M:8
pause
@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $P$G
PATH=C:\;C:\UBTEMP;

You will note that I've added two PAUSE commands in the AUTOEXEC.BAT file. The first one will enable you to immediately see the response after the device driver is loaded in the CONFIG.SYS file, and the second after MSCDEX is loaded, provided you invoke <F8> at startup and select Command Prompt Only. You should get a response like this:

1 drive(s) detected
unit 0, SLAVE, IRQ .... etc, etc.

or

Driver install successful

or some other similar response.

You should also get another response after loading MSCDEX.EXE, which might look something like this:

MSCDEX Version 2.25
Copyright MS blah blah blah...
Drive E: = Driver MSCD001 unit 0

Ok, let's see how you're doing now...

ROGER - GØAOZ.

I don't believe path information is neccessary. If it was, I'd suggest using:

PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND

Also, you have never responded to these questions:

Right-click on My Computer, choose properties, click the Device Manager tab. Does CDROM show up?

Go to Start>Settings>ControlPanel>Multimedia. Is there a letter assigned?

And finally, all this information above is meaningless if you want the CD-ROM to work in Windows.

Does this file exist on your hard drive:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IOSUBSYS\CDFS.VXD

Try going to Start>Run, and type sfc. Don't replace any, just post back with the results.

reghakr

hello all!!

sorry reghakr!! i missed a couple of points before.

no! a letter for cd rom is not assigned in start->control panel->multimedia. also the box &quot;default cd-rom drive for playing cd music&quot; is grayed. i followed GOAOZ's instructions
and changed my autoexec and config files and rebooted the system from ms-dos command prompt. (i am assuming that mscd001 is mscd zero zero one not mscd oo one.)

results:

creative cd-rom device driver version 2.00 (0.33)
no drivers found, aborting installation

c:\> c:\sbcd\drv\mscdex.exe /d:mscd001 /v /m:8
device driver not found 'mscd001'
no valid cd-rom drivers selected.

once again thanks all for helping me.

Did you try it using the TEAC_CDI.SYS driver?

Does this file exist on your hard drive:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IOSUBSYS\CDFS.VXD

open Windowws Explorer to the c:\windows directory. Make sure Show hidden files is enabled. Rename the hwinfo.dat file to hwinfo.da_
Then go to Start>Run, and type hwinfo /ui

Look over the resulting file. Red text indicates a problem device.

Go toi Start>Run, and type msinfo32.exe. Look over the Hardware Resources section, then click CD-ROM under the Multimedia Components section.

Post back with the results.

reghakr

Assuming reghakrs suggestion doesn't work, then it looks like a hardware problem. Has anyone opened the case and added/removed any components? Check the ide cable to the cdrom is properly seated at both ends. If you go into the bios setup at the start, does the drive show there or during the bootup process if the auto-detect option is on?

Excellent idea Paul...after all that we forget about that very good possibility.

Hope something here helps:

Audio CD's hardware problem checklist
1) Plug a set of headphones in the CD-ROM while playing a CD to determine if the CD-ROM player is working. You usually have a volume control on the front, adjust it if necessary. If you hear sound correctly, the CD-ROM is okay. If not, the CD-ROM is probably defective. If you only hear the sound from left or right channel then remove the wire which goes to soundcard and test if the CD-ROM work as it should without it (wrongly connected audio cable can sometimes mute one headphone channel).

2) Check the audio cable that runs from the CD-ROM to the sound card. On most CD-ROM/Sound card, it is a small grey round 3 or 4 wire cable with colored wires and a small plastic connector on each end. This is not the large flat grey IDE connector cable! Does it exist? If so, is it connected tightly? No pinches or sharp bends?

3) If connected, it may be on incorrectly or wired incorrectly. Usually one end has a flat 4 hole connector that can be rotated 180 degrees to reverse the wiring. Try that. Or the CD-ROM and sound card were purchased separately and the CD-ROM grey audio cable was the wrong type for the combination of card and CD-ROM.

Also, is mscdex.exe in the c:\sbcd\drv directory? I'd do a search for that file name and choose the one with the most recent date. If you're running Win98SE, the date would be 4-23-99. If you're running Win98 First Edition, I believe the date was 5-11-98 (somebody help me out on that date)

reghakr

First edition has 2 dates one May , one November.
Error message as described with config.sys , driver not found is a missing file of some sort. May require 2 drivers, second called from the first.
The mscd error is a natural if a driver is missing from config.sys.
would like clarification. Are there 2 cds on the system?
Original config.sys had teac driver in one line and creative in another. Autoexec had two calls to lad mscd, one teac and one creative.
And if this is off a creative board, there is also the possibility that the board needs the ide port activated.
Hate to bring these up at this late date. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back