Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CCNP Home Lab Setup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulux

MIS
Aug 1, 2007
US
I’m looking into how to best study for the CCNP exams. While studying for me CCNA, I used a simulator (routersim) which was useful, but clearly has its limitations. I am wondering what equipment would be adequate to really learn the CCNP material. I have heard from others that the amount of equipment needed to sufficiently setup a home lab for the CCNP is so expensive, that your money would be better spent on paying to rent some rack time somewhere. There is a lot of conflicting information out on the web, but I have gotten a lot of great information out of this site, so I hope that some of you may be able to offer some advice. I apologize if this question has already been asked and answered, but I searched through previous postings and have not seen anything on this topic. Thanks in advance!

The best setup would be three Catalyst 2950 switches and three 2620 routers, so you can set up different areas with OSPF, redistribute IS-IS or EIGRP into OSPF and vice-versa, specify redistribution distance, metrics, etc., set up the three switches in a redundant topology so you can set up spanning-tree and VTP, and all with pruning. The layer three switch stuff is easy to remember (just remember the commands switchport mode access and ip routing). You should also have 2-3 pc's, so you can set up vpn's. I would also get a 2500 series with a lot of serial ports and configure it as a frame relay switch, so you can see ospf problems in a NBMA environment (adding neighbor statements in point-to-point OSPF configurations).

Burt

Burt,

Thanks for the feedback. I"m going to start shopping around for the equipment soon!

Paul

How about the IOS on the switches? Any suggestions on that? Some people selling switches on Ebay don't have a clue what IOS if any. I imagine I shouldn't need the enterprise version, but still..

fresh CCNA

Most come with at least IP Plus. If you buy like 5 routers, you're bound to have at least one with a decent image, which you can tftp and reflash the rest.

Burt

ok what about the series? it's 2950 good for the exam? What about WS-C2950-12 is that good?

fresh CCNA

ok, what about a multilayer switch, like the 3500 series. options are 3508,3512, 3524, 3548, 3560, 3510, 3511, 3520. which one would you recommend for the ccnp exam? thanks for the help.

fresh CCNA

Thanks for your suggestion on a testbed burtsbees, helpful as always.

Just a suggestion, for anyone, instead of multiple pcs, you could have one pc with multiple nics (cheap addon card) and have multiple vms bound to each nic so u can simulate multiple computers with one machine (and multiple os's). VMSERVER is a free product and works well.

Gb0mb

........99.9% User Error........

That is actually a router emulator, and it runs actual IOS...I use it myself, and it rocks!

Burt

I was looking on this site which seems reasonably priced.

Reading info provided on the site it suggests that you have routers capable of running the 12.4 IOS to be able to use all features that the ccnp requires. The 2620's are unable according to them to run 12.4. I was wondering what opinions are on this and if anyone had experience with this company.

Thanks

Gb0mb

hmmm..IOS 12.4, good luck finding that one. As for CiscoKits, they look ok until u go look on Ebay. I believe Ebay is a much better place for buying anything. There is more competition there rather than one online store hoping people will buy their overpriced merchandise. Also, CiscoKits sell their stuff on Ebay as well.
Take a look at cablesandkits.com as well, also they sell on Ebay.
I hope everything involving routers can be tackled with the emulator. That will save a lot of money that you can spend on switches. Those can't be emulated so you have to buy some..2 or better 3 2950s
As for the "advanced features" that only IOS 12.4 supports, I believe that is QoS and I really can't say anything and I havent got that far lol. I'm still struggling with the routing and switching part. The more hands-on you can get, the BETTER!! I can not stress enough how important this is.

fresh CCNA

I used the emulation software for the CCNA, but would prefer a hands on testbed for practice. As Burt had suggested the 2600 routers are very reasonable. The 2950 switches can be pricey though.

The Boson emulation software for the CCNP is about 500 I think so it in the end might be the best solution for now while I build a solid test bed.

Gb0mb

I do not agree with you on that. The 2600 routers are not very reasonable, considering they come with almost no interfaces and you have to buy expansion cards. All this taken into account, it will be quite expensive and you're better off using the emulator on your hopefully powerful enough PC. Also I keep my opinion on the Boson simulator, it's only good for the beginning, then you better get into the real thing. It's for your own good.

fresh CCNA

After doing my research, so far I have gotten 2 2950s on ebay for right around $100 each. I got 3 2610s in a set on ebay for $90, two of which came w/56k DSU/CSU cards. I'm glad to get some hands on with the hardware – it has opened my eyes to how much more intricate this all is than you can realize using only emulators. Using an emulator for my CCNA was helpful, but nowhere near as much so as using the actual equipment is while I am now working towards my CCNP. Thanks to all for the great feedback!

Just some info:

Cisco has the CCNP prep center which offers some useful information. They also had a section for each test with suggested topology and equip.

Gb0mb

gb0mb,

VERY good point - the link "CCNP Prep Center" is under the section at the bottom of the page called "Additional Training" - you need to login however YOU DO NOT NEED Smartnet access as you do to download an IOS :)

The CCNP Prep Center includes practice questions, e-learning modules, tips from CCNP professionals, expert advice, and other CCNP resources to help students preparing for CCNP certification exams.

They had a complete doc discussing the lab setup with Cisco 1800 routers.

This should help anyone looking to pass CCNP :) Some of the FREE stuff is the best stuff out there !

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Correction

The CCNP lab listed in the CCNP Prep Center is 7 routers, 6 2811 routers and any other router with 4 serial interfaces that can act as a Frame Relay switch.

I had listed 1811 router above - "My Bad" :-(

Just wanted to correct before we had a rush on 1811s on eBay :)

The doc as well as all the info at the Cisco CCNP Prep Center site is very well done!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back