Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CCMM 7 email encoding issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

hebegb41

Technical User
Aug 28, 2008
US
We are getting occasional emails into our CCMM server where in the body of the text, the email will have special characters that get replaced with question marks (?). The most recent one had the apostrophe in various words replaced with the ? mark...example.. we're...looks like we?re. We have also seen this in telephone numbers that are written into the email...example....1-800-555-1212...where the dashes were replaced with ?...so it looked like 1?800?555?1212. Has anyone seen this? Is this an encoding issue in the email? If so is there a fix for it?

Hached, Thanks for getting back to me. The only place I see to adjust "encoding" is actually IN the email itself once you click "reply" from the CCAD agent UI.
I am unaware of a "setting" within the server itself that sets the encoding for all emails into the CCMM server. I have reviewed the books as well and do not see a server level setting.
When an agent selects "reply" to a contact, he can then right click within the body of the email and get the "encoding" choices. There is a myriad of choices in here but this is not where the issue is.
The emails are coming INTO our server with the characters changed around.
I hope this better explains....
thanks again

I'm not 100% sure on the CCMM 7 because I work on AACC 6.2. In AACC 6.2 (CCMM) in CCMM Admin there's a e-mail General Settings option, within this window there's a box for Encoding for Agent Initiated e-mails, typically this is set to UTF-8. What encoding does your Corporate SMTP server use?

yes, there is a window in CCMS7 under "Email Admin > E-mail Encoding" that this UTF-8 is set at. But this is for "Agent Initiated" emails that go OUT from the agents. Our issue is where emails coming FROM customers... the sysem is changing the characters. I do not see anywhere to change that. Ill check the SMTP settings with our Exchange guru.

You right, I wasn't thinking about it from an inbound perspective. Is your CCMM all patched up? Have you tried looking at the e-mails on your Exchange server to see if the e-mail looks good there and only becomes "garbled" when it enters CCMM?

Hached, thanks again for your expeditious repsonse.
We are using POP3 so I cant really compare the Outlook email to the Nortel email since it hits the Exchange server and "POPS" right over to CCMM. If we were MAPI I could do that....I thinks AACC is MAPI and can be compared that way....we'll get there soon I hope......

You may want to remove the e-mail address from CCMM and have it routed to a regular mailbox and see if you still have the issue...just a thought.

Send an email to a non ccmm monitored mailbox and see the mail source (not in outlook), that can sometimes massage the issue. See if the dash is converted to a question mark and see how the mail is encoded.

CCTECH, thanks for the info but I am not sure what you mean here. The issue is when our agents reply to an email that is rec'vd in CCMM. When the email is sent out it goes out from our CCMM thru a relay server that is just an SMTP pass thru device. I know that CCMM is not converting the characters because whe I do a look up thru the "contact search" function I can see that the agents reply has all the correct characters.

Ah I see... the original encoding of the email is used in the reply. So when you get a mail into AACC encoded in Latin-1 (ISO-8859-1), the reply is also sent in Latin-1. If the reply includes characters that can't be encoded into Latin-1, they will most likely be changed to question marks. The usual culprit here is the Euro symbol - that's part of Latin-9. So if you send a mail without the euro mark encoded in Latin 1 and the agent replies with the euro mark, it gets replaced by a question mark. To get past this, there is a checkbox setting in the email general settings window to encode latin 1 mails as latin 9.

The box for encoding agent initiated emails is to let AACC know what encoding to use where there is no original customer email to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back