Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

catalyst 1900 switch 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim3725

Technical User
Dec 29, 2002
US
I am not able to configure a catalyst 1900 switch
I am using a cisco rollover cable connecting thru hyperterminal. I only get ATQ prompts from screen. I am using 9600,N,8,1
I am using the same rj45 db9 female connectors and rollover cable that I configure my 2500 series router with, and I have no trouble, so it's something about the switch.
When I pushed & held in the mode button and turnon the router I got the ethernet address and the Operation firmware level of 5.37. Do I have do upgrade this inorder to use console port, Please advise
thanks
Jim3725

It takes a null modem cable... not a console cable if it's the older 1900 with the DB9 console port. If it's the newer 1900 with the RJ45 port, then the *normal* cisco rollover and terminal DB adapter will work fine.

Which do you have? with a version of 5.x I would suspect and older switch.

MikeS
Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

thanks for tip on null modem cable, what about upgrading to 8.01 version from existing 5.37 firmware via xmodem. Is the payback worth the risk?Please advise

If it's the early 1900, 5.37 is the latest you can get. You need the newer 1900 to run 8 or 9.x firmware.

MikeS Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

I have some of those older Cisco switches and haven't needed to upgrade to newer firmware. They work fine as a hub. If you are planning to do anything more complex, I would suggest using newer hardware like the low end Catalyst 1924 XL. I get a lot of Cisco hardware from Network Hardware Resale. They have great prices and quick delivery.

Jeff

Where does one get a null modem cable for db9 connection for serial port to console port of switch?
I have used the console rollover cable thru hyperterm to boot up the switch by holding in mode button. I have reset the switch to factory defaults along with reseting the console port to 9600,n,8,1 using the rollover cable.
I still get atq0h0 replies from the switch.
Please assist with getting a null modem cable for db9 to db9 .

I made mine..

RJ45 staight ribbon cable but cat5 straight through will work. 2 RJ45 to DB9 adapters.
Shell #1
1-orange
2-red
3-brown
4-black
5-yellow
6- tied to 1
7-blue
8- green
9- empty

Shell#2
1-black
2-brown
3-red
4-orange
5-yellow
6- tied to 1
7- green
8-blue
9- empty

I used Red shells to make sure I did not mistake this cable any other. This also works on 3com serial interfaces and several other types of network equipment.

Now, if you are clever, you will look the RS232 standard and see what we did here. One of the most important things is pins 2 and 3 which are the Tx and Rx. You need to twist them so it's Tx-Rx and Rx to Tx. Plus there DTR (data terminal ready) that needs to be set and CTS (clear to send)

MikeS
Find me at
Sun Tzu

could you translate:
1-orange
2-red
3-brown
4-black
5-yellow
6- tied to 1
7-blue
8- green
9- empty

Shell#2
1-black
2-brown
3-red
4-orange
5-yellow
6- tied to 1
7- green
8-blue
9- empty

into:

blue
blue/white
brown
brown/white
green and so forth..
I've never seen black, red and such

thx

If you look into a DB9 shell that is prewired, that is the color scheme you will see. It's not the same as TWP so there is not any orange or orange/white.

MikeS
Find me at
Sun Tzu

Hello Ya'll.... I got it on this one...

This is what you need... two DB-9 to RJ-45 adapters, straight-through cable and one DB-9 null modem adapter ( can be purchased at Radio Shack, that is where i got mine at) anyways...first plug the null modem adapter onto the swith console port then behind it plug in the DB-9 to RJ-45 adapter then straight-through cable then being followed by the other DB-9 to RJ-45 adapter to the PC... there you go...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back