Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cant select a field in a combo box

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonDKM

IS-IT--Management
Oct 19, 2017
US
Hello,

I am trying to create a combo box on a form and it wont let me select the fields. The box populates the way I want but cant select any of them. I think the problem stems from the main table which is populated via a linked table that is created as an export from Quickbooks. The form draws the 'Order' information from the linked table query and then connects to the 'Game Part' table/query to get the part attributes. I want to create a combobox that allows our production team to select from a list of 'statuses' as the job progresses thru production. Since I figured the linked table is a one-way street so to speak, I created a table to 'store' the order status as it is entered and a Status table to populate the combobox. Not sure this is the right approach, just instinctual. This is my first post ever so please be gentle. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

You cannot select the "fields"?
Do you mean it will not allow you to select the "record" values displayed within the combo box?
Are you receiving any error messages?
Typically, you would have code placed on the "AfterUpdate" event for the combo box. Is this the case? If so, can we see the code?

In the meantime,
Check your Bound Columns (Data Tab). This represents the column from the Row Source (Data Tab) whose data you are capturing. In other words, if you have three columns (fields) in the Row Source, and the third one is the value being stored, then your Bound Column must be 3.
On the Format tab, check the "Column Count" property. It should reference the number of columns (fields) from the Row Source which are supplying values to the combo box. So, if three fields are being displayed in the combo box, you must set this to 3.

Thanks for the response Charlie. I apologize for butchering the terminology...yes, I do mean 'records'. I don't receive any error codes just a beep when I click on any of the entries. There isnt any code in the 'AfterUpdate' since it seemed like a straight forward "provide me values from this table and i'll select the one I want" scenario. As far as the bound columns there is only 1 set to select from so the setting is '1'.

It should be straight-forward. Code is not a not a necessity. It depends upon what you are trying to do. I was just checking.

Do you have a valid Control Source defined for the combo box?
Is the form's Record Source based on a table or a query?

When you attempt to make a selection, check the Status Bar; lower left corner of the form. Is it possible that the RecordSource for the form itself is Read Only? Queries can sometimes be read only.

Open the Data tab (for the form, click the label: Record Source. This will select the entire SQL statement. Press Ctrl + C (to copy). Open a new Query but do not add tables. Instead, right-click the empty grey window and choose to view SQL.

Then Press Ctrl+V to paste the copied statement into the window. You can then right-click the window again and choose Design (to view the query) or Datasheet to see the results of it.

See if you can add a record manually to the datasheet. If it is read-only, it will beep at you and give you a Read Only message in the left corner.

Hmmm, sounds like a great trick, will give it a try. I hope you dint think I was being a prick with my straight forward statement - that was a shot toward myself, lol.

Can you edit any of the fields in the form's record source? The symptoms seem to suggest your record source doesn't allow edits.

Can you share the SQL view of the record source as well as the primary and foreign key fields involved?

Duane
Minnesota
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP 2001-2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back