Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't See Past Router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLawson

IS-IT--Management
Jul 10, 2002
US
I admin a LAN which consists of an NT 4.0 server, about 15 Win 98 machines and five XP machines. Everything runs smoothly except for one little problem:

I have one XP machine that can't see past the router. I can ping everything up to the router from this machine, then, nothing else will resolve. I can use the other XP machine in the same room with no problem.

The router is handling DHCP and has assigned the machine an IP, gateway, and subnet mask (just as it has for the rest of the network). I can access all of the local resources (there's an httpd running on the server) without a hitch.

Any ideas as to what may be misconfigured? Did I miss something obvious?

The XP box that doesn't work....was it the last box set up on the netowrk? (or even the last system booted up that morning) by any chance?

I have had a few people call me with your exact problem...come to find out that their NT server was only licenced for X number of clients. After they exceeded that number, then they get your exact issue (router assigns proper setting via DHCP, but can't actually access server proplery)

Usually, you can tell if this is your problem by checking your user license, or by leaving a machine that should be on the network turned off, then boot the XP box up. See if it connects properly.

I know it is a long shot (*emphasis, emphasis*), but I would hate to see you chase your tail......

Good luck

mudskipper:

I'll check on the license thing, but this system was actually one of the first to log on to the network this morning.

I reveived a call on this same machine a few days ago. The user couldn't access the outside world. I opened IE, entered an IP of a web server outside the LAN, and it came up. After that, everything worked fine - I could access web sites via hostname. That stuck me as odd, but I shrugged it off as a "Microsoft thing."

When I received the call today, I repeated the same procedure. This time, I wasn't able to pull up anything via IP (or hostname). The local web server can be accessed just fine by hostname. IMAP4, SMTP, POP3, DHCP - they all work fine locally. It's just everything on the "remote" side of the router that I can't access from that machine.

Then don't worry about the first thing...was a long shot.

As for your issue, well I'm a bit stumpted...I'll post back if anything hits me.

ANYBODY ELSE HAVE OPTIONS?!!! ----------------------------------------
Groucho Marx said it best...
"A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five."

You know, sometimes a network administrator gets so caught up in "major" problems that he overlooks "minor" issues.

In short, it's never a good thing for a machine to have a gateway of set 10.0.0.1 when the correct gateway assigned by DHCP is totally different - especially when those settings override what DHCP assigns.

*Smacks forehead*

Thanks anyway!

LOL. Don't worry about it. Glad you are up and running! If I told you that I have never had a technician's brain fart, I would be lying!! ----------------------------------------
Groucho Marx said it best...
"A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back