Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can't edit data in Access 2000 form (but can edit subform data!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rxsims

Technical User
Jul 14, 2003
CA
-I have two access 2000 front ends. One is a working copy, one is a development copy (exact same with a few minor modifications).
-I just upgraded to Access 2002, but the database files are all Access 2000 format.
-I have one form with two subforms on it. The main form has some controls on it (linked to the master record).
-Both subforms are linked to the master record (main form).

- I want to edit the data that is in the controls of the main form on the development copy, but can't.

Problem:

- **I can edit the data in the controls of the main form on the working copy, but not the development copy (I get the feedback beep).
- I can edit the data in the subforms within the main form in both working and development copies.
- I can edit the data if I open the back end.

What I've tried:
I have imported the form from the 'working copy' (where I can edit data) into the 'development copy' (where I have the problem), but I have the same problem (can't edit the data of the main form) as soon as I import it.

How can I edit the data??

Thanks for any help.

I had a similar problem and I created a new form and cut and pasted everything from the old to the new form (instead of importing) and the new form worked. I don't know if the problem was in the conversion. I didn't research it further because this worked.

Thanks. I tried this and it didn't work. Upon more investigation, I found that in one version I had a two linked tables in the query that the form is based on. I deleted the 'least necessary' table, and it works. Now I have a different problem: If I have two tables linked in a query, I can't update any of the data....

Dear rxsi,

Ponder what you are asking Access to do.

If you have a query, that pulls data from 1 table, then If you want to add a record, Access can handle that.

Now, add a second table to the query, and when you return several columns, from the second table, Access does not know how or which table to create the records into.

So, if you use 2 or more tables in a query, but only return fields from one of the tables, access can usually add a record.

A work around solution would be to extract the data to temp table from the query. Now use the temp table to drive your forms input source. Add records to the temp table. Then place code on/in a save button to read the temp table and write to the final target table. Makesure you remove all records from the temp table when you save and when you first open the form.

Hope This Helps,
Hap [2thumbsup]

Access Developer [pc] Access based Add-on Solutions
Access Consultants forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back