Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't discover IPO when connected to Avaya 3500 ERS switch 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trilinkcomm

Vendor
Oct 19, 2005
US
This is a new install and getting ready to go live soon. I'm not sure if I'm missing something simple or not.

This what I have.

IPOffice system is set to 192.168.42.222
I ran the setup script on the Avaya 3524GT switches and set the VLan for voice and data to 42 & 44 respectively.

The phones are all coming up but IP Office Manager will not discover the IPO system even though I am plugged into the same switch and the IPO. The only way I can connect to the IPO is to move myself and the IPO to desktop switch and set my IP address to match the IPO (192.168.42.20).

I would imagine it is something in the switch but I'm not sure where to look.

Any help would be appreciated. Even if its something I can't do, I'm trying to get a friend of mine who is a network guy to help but he isn't familiar with Avaya gear.

Thanks

have you tried putting the 192.168.42.222 into the unit box in the bottom left when selecting an IPO?

set the gateway of your PC to be the switch address and it will probably work...

option 1 - set your default gateway as the switch IP (data vlan)
option 2 - you can put a static route on that PC that points to the switch IP (data vlan) if you want access to the 192.168.42.0 network.
option 2 - setup a port for the voice vlan only on the switch and program a port on your current default gateway for the voice vlan, this way your default gateway will see that subnet and be able to pass traffic to it.

forgot, also make sure your default IP route in the IPO is going the the correct gateway

Thanks gkinght1!!!!

I set my laptop statically and then put the IPO address in the unit box and it came right up. That was a nice quick fix.

Thanks again. Now I need to figure out why my switches won't stack. I set them both to "stacking" but they still aren't working. That can be a problem for another day.

rear-ports mode stacking is the command

make sure the toggle switch on the back of the ERS is in the correct position, one should be "Base" and the other switch set to opposite.

gkinght1

I have the switches correct and also wired them correctly. I also found the steps to put them in stacking mode. I even checked by accessing the switch using the IP address associated with the switch and it also shows it is in stacking mode but I can't get any phones to connect if they are connected to the second switch. I also don't get all of the lights on the front of the switch so I'm not sure if its the cables I'm using to stack them or if there is another issue.

Thanks again for your help.

did you run the "run ipoffice verbose" command before stacking them, if so, thats your problem. you need to run the command after the switches are stacked.

I suppose your original issue is that you entered 192.168.42.222 as call server address in the script but phones will be automatically put into voice VLAN 44

gknight1 - I did run the "run ipoffice verbose" command prior to stacking them. I'll have to try again on Monday to see if I can stack them first and then run the command. I know I'm getting off subject now but do you happen to know if there is anything special I should do with they're other 2 switches? We have (2) Avaya 3510 ERS switches in 2 of their other building. The (2) 3524 switches are stacked in the first building. The 2nd building has a 3510 switch and connects to these switches via fiber. The 3rd building also has a 3510 switch and connects to the 2nd building via copper. I ran the "run ipoffice verbose" command on the 2nd building's switch but I could not run it on the 3rd building's switch otherwise the phones would not connect. I also can not use port 2 on the switches because I assume they're allocated for the IPO.

I guess I just hijacked my own thread. Thanks for your help!!

derfloh - If I'm not mistaken the Avaya switch and their script of "run ipoffice verbose" wants to use 42 for the Voice VLAN and 44 for the Data VLAN. I know I can change it to something else but please let me know if I'm missing something.

you really dont want run the "Run ipoffice verbose" command on the other switches as it sets a voice only vlan port and data only vlan port. You can copy the config using show run, change what you need so all the ports are the same, and paste the config back into the switch. You will need to add port 1 into the data vlan and add port 2 into the voice vlan. You also might need to change the auto pvid on port 1. Any ports that are connected to another switch need to be set to tagall for tagging.

The script is OK for the main switch or stack. But you should look at the running config and try to understand what the script does. Since it creates a router on any switch you run the script it makes no sense on other switches.

But it's nice for Avaya to tell anyone that you can configure a small to medium sized network within 10 minutes with the script.

The ports connecting switches with each other are usually configured as tagall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back