Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

?Cant connect to VNC server from outside.....LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

techciscouser

Technical User
Jan 17, 2004
US
I installed VNC Server at work and then to test it installed Viewer at a computer. It worked fine ...but at home it doesnot connect & says "Cant connect to server"
I forwarded my work IP / port 5900 on the router. I tested in LAN ..workks fine but not from home.

My work IP is 192.168.1.x / Subnet 255.255.255.0 / Default gateway 198.168.1.x. This is the setting of the work computer and it is static IP assigned to my computer.

My home IP is 24.90.194.x / Subnet 255.255.248.0 / Default Gateway 24.90.192.1. I checked by ipconfig on CMD.

Can somebody advise me how to fix this problem
Thanks

I've worked with VNC very little, but at a client's site, I found out that the machine you want to access remotely has to have a static IP address, but it won't work with the 192.168.1.X address, as these are usually used on subnets. For example, at my client's site, we had to call the ISP and actually request an individual address for each of the machines we wanted to be able to control remotely. Hope this helps some.

A little further explanation...

192.168.X.X addresses are used for internal use. Your work probably set this up to conserve a limited number of IP address they've been assigned. 192.168.X.X is often found in home networks that share a DSL/Cable connection, or in plain peer-to-peer networks that share an internet connection through one externally connected computer.

This being the case, through clever subnet masking, 192.168.X.X addresses allow more computers on networks than straight-forward IP addressing would.

So, what you will need to do is contact your network's administrator, and see if you can assign a static IP (that is a valid external address) that way.

You need to have the IP address given to you by your ISP. 12.12.x.x? If you have full time on ISP. Write down the IP address. When you get home run VNC Viewer. Type in the IP address click OK the logon screen will come up type in your password>OK. You should now see the desktop of the office computer.

I'm running VNC and I am having problems with running it on a lap top. I can't get the desktop of the client to take up the whole screen of the viewer LCD monitor. I get a postage stamp size screen. I change the resolution in display, still does not work. It works OK on all LCDs and CRTs but wont work with a laptop LCD.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Spool
A small amount of help is better than none at all.

Can Subnet Mask vary on this kind of remote connection between Home & work PC.As I noticed Subnet mask of work is 255.255.255.0 and home is 255.255.254.0.
My ISP is Road Runner, modem is Toshiba PCX2500.

And as everybody suggested that I should have Public IP address. I have WRT54G Linksys Wireless router at work. Can I just look at the status tab;under status tab I have 2 more tabs called local & Internet. Does anybody know if I use the Internet IP add(which I assume is Public/external)should work...???? I mean on the VNC viewer I can use that Internet IP add to connect????

Or is there a way I can assign an Static / External IP for myself. I do have acess to router configs at work?

Thanks for all the help that I got !!!

setup forwarding on the linksys then connect to the external address.

request to external address --> fwd'd to 192.168.x.x PC = connexion.

thank you please drive through.

Hello,
You need to ensure your linksys devices is using a static ip to connect to the internet. Once that is established then look at this ip in the linksys config screen and write that down. This ip will be used to connect your remote workstation to your local workstation.

You also need to setup port 5900 forwarding to the private ip of your host workstation (the 192.168.1.x) number... These numbers must also never change at the host site. The ip can change on the remote site though as much as need be.

Thanks for all the help ...
Even after opening ports 5500 - 5900, assigning Static IP to my computer at workas 192.168.1.221. Subnet 255.255.255.0 & default gateway 192.168.1.1. I m using the external IP 10.0.0.3( this is the Internet IP / External ...noted from my router configs) I STILL CANT CONNECT TO SERVER AT WORK...CANT FIGURE OUT WHY.??? Also in the security tab under Firewall tab - which is enabled obviously...Anonymous requests was checked ...I removed that too.But still cant figure out what going on.
I am doing what is required ..but nothing ...infact the error also doesnot change ...Always it says FAILED TO CONNECT TO SERVER.

I have Windows 2000 Professional at work & XP home edition at home. My IP at home is 24.90.194.46 / Subnet 255.255.248.0 / Default GTW 24.90.192.1 / Connection Specific DNS Suffix nyc.rr.com.
I have Road Runner's Toshiba PCX2500 Cable modem. I dont have router at home.
My router at work is WRT54G Wireless-G Broadband Router. I am still trying to see other tabs ...what other tabs do. Under SETUP there is tab called ADVANCED ROUTING ....does anybody know if I am supposed to make changes to ADVANCED ROUTING tab...I mean if that would help??????????????

PLEASE HELP???????I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING I HAD TO BUT STILL CANT GET THIS TO WORK.

ANY SUGGESTION????

Thanks

I had the same problem. My router was blocking port 5900.I have a Linksys router. You have to set up Forwarding. I think you can do this with your router.

Lets start new.

Open port range 5900 to 59xx. Protocol TCP. You want to forward to the IP address of the computer you want to connect to. In command prompt of that computer type in ipconfig /all, to get the IP address. The IP will look like this 192.168.x.x. Now after making these setting enable or save them in the router.

Go to this Link. This will give you the exact IP address your ISP gave you. It is a Internet speed test web site. You get your IP address and a free speed test.

Don't worry about the IP address you have at home you don't need it to connect to the computer at work.

When you first load VNC it asks that you set a password for security. Write down this password, take it home with you. Run VNC Server at work. Run VNC Viewer at home click on it type in the ISP's IP address not the computers IP address from work. When it connects type in your password. You now should see your desktop of the computer from work.

If you have a Software firewall like Zone Alarm or Norton's Internet Security on the computer at work turn it off. They might be stopping the connection and you won't know about it because your on the computer at home.

Good luck.

Thanks, Spool

Thanks a lot Spool...I hope this helps me.
But let me understand it ..as I m new to Technical stuff.
After opening ports 5500 - 5900, assigning Static IP to my computer at work as 192.168.1.221. Subnet 255.255.255.0 & default gateway 192.168.1.1.I have enabled them.
I hope I was supposed to run speed test on any computer to get my IP as I did it on the same computer where I have installed VNC SERVER i.e my work computer. I ran the speedtest and got my IP...(I hope I can set up to work) which looks like 139.89.188.x.
So this is the IP I am using to connect to VNC SERVER from home & using the password..that I assigned.

And as you advised it doesnot matter if I have diffrent subnet mask at home of 255.255.248.0 than work 255.255.255.0
I hope I understood correctly..!!!!

Thanks so much in advance...I hope it works...coz I have been trying for like 2 weeks or so..but no luck.

I called Linksys too..but everybody gives a diffrent advise...but no luck so even after trying what they told me. Yesterday only I spoke to them they said last resort is to go to DMZ tab under Application & gaming and enable it and write your IP of the work computer.

Thanks Spool Once Again!!!

You open port range, 5900 to 5910 and direct it to the IP address of the computer at work that you will connect to from home. You don't need to open port range, 5500 to 5900.

The IP address you got from ipconfig /all is the IP of the computer you typed ipconfig /all in the command prompt. You can get the IP address for all computers in your network by using this command at each computer.

You can run the speed test on any computer that is connected to the internet. The IP that you get from the speed test is the IP address your ISP gave you to connect any computer on the network to the internet.

(So this is the IP I am using to connect to VNC SERVER from home & using the password..that I assigned). YES

Thanks, Spool

Thanks again Spool....
Can I just open like this >
Application /Start/ /End /Protocol/ IP /Enable
VNC /5900 /to/ 5910 /TCP /192.168.1.221 / Yes

I hope you are understanding what I trying to ask you...by trying to write the same configs from my router config page..
Thanks so much....

It looks right to me. My router is worded different but has the same result.

Thanks, Spool

Spool ....I am afraid no luck so far.!!!
I tried to use the IP I got from the site after the speed test; and which you suggested me i.e 138.89.188.x
But still the same "cant connect to Server"
I know I m close ...And I have been trying hard enough everyday.
Quick question... How would this IP 138.89.188.x would recognise my router's IP ie 10.0.0.3. I hopw you know what I m asking...?
I mean that might sound stupid....but dont you think I need to forward the same VNC port to my router's IP ie 10.0.0.3 & also to my Work PC's.
But I still dont undersatnd how 138.89.188.x wd relate itself to my router ip.
And also it doesnot matter if I am using diffrent subnet mask provided by Road Runner at home ....Could this connection failed be because of diffrent subnet mask.

Thanks a lot ...I really appreciate your help...and in that process what I am learning is great & beneficial!!!
thanks again....

Spool
I cant relax until I get VNC to work.
I can ping the IP that I got from bandwidth speedtest site ie 138.89.188.x. & telnet too...it was asking me for pswd(somebody on the forum only suggested me...to ping & telnet)
But when I use in the viewer it says CANT CONNECT TO SERVER
I know I am missing something....
Even after being able to ping and telent the same message I get
Thanks Spool for all the help...I hope to get little more..

How do you get into your router for setup. On my Linksys I open my browser and in the address bar I type in this is the routers IP address. Then the setup screen comes up. Here I can change any setting I wan't.

I know I will upset some people with this suggestion. You can E-mail me your E-mail address and I will send you some screen shots. When we get this fixed we can post back here with the solution.

solutions.1@comcast.net

Spool

You said you're using the router's external IP of 10.0.0.x
That is an internal IP similar to 192.168.1.*

If connections are coming in on port 5900, then client connections are establish on ports incrementing above that.
Listen on ports 5900-5910 for example.

Ensure that port forwarding is turned on and pointing at the static IP of your computer on the LAN.
Find out your WAN IP address - i.e. the IP address of your router on the internet.
Try visiting for example

From home, from the VNC viewer, connect to the WAN IP of your router - i.e. the IP obtained from

I have an even simpler (I hope) problem.

I cannot even connect VNC client to a VNC server in the same LAN (both in a home network) by NAME. Client is Windows 2000, server is Windows XP. I get the same error:

"Failed to get Server Address".

I can connect by IP address without a problem. I can see the host computer by name in Windows Explorer without any problem (I enabled NetBEUI). I don't have a DNS setup.

I get the same behavior when I reverse the roles of client and server machines.

Help?

To get vnc server working on a name basis without a dns or wins server you will have to use a so called host file,
that's where you can link your netbios name (the name of your pc) to it's ip address.
i.e.

windows 2k PC
it's located in: c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc
Edit the host file making following entry
192.168.12.10 pcname-XP # netbios name XP pc

windows XP PC
it's located in: c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc
Edit the host file making following entry
192.168.12.11 pcname-w2k # netbios name w2k pc

change netbios name and ipaddresses into your own.

Suc6

Thanks so much fro the help that I got....!!!!
I think the way my network is setup is all creating problem. So I tested it on some other computers and BOOM....it works.
But I didnot understand why the connection is slow....when I am working with excel/word files its fine...but when I work on unix based program Tech7 (if anybody has heard about it..)it takes too much of time & is slow.
Any suggestions...??????

And Thanks Spool for helping me...I tried on diffrent network and it works fine...I guess the way my network is setup...its all complicated. BUT A BIG THANKS.....TO SPOOL!!!!!

But advise on why its slow with UNIX program???
Thanks again....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back