Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

?Cant connect to VNC server from outside.....LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

techciscouser

Technical User
Jan 17, 2004
US
I installed VNC Server at work and then to test it installed Viewer at a computer. It worked fine ...but at home it doesnot connect & says "Cant connect to server"
I forwarded my work IP / port 5900 on the router. I tested in LAN ..workks fine but not from home.

My work IP is 192.168.1.x / Subnet 255.255.255.0 / Default gateway 198.168.1.x. This is the setting of the work computer and it is static IP assigned to my computer.

My home IP is 24.90.194.x / Subnet 255.255.248.0 / Default Gateway 24.90.192.1. I checked by ipconfig on CMD.

Can somebody advise me how to fix this problem
Thanks

you need to supply some more info.... from work you should make sure the router is fowarding calls to port 5900 to the computer's specific lan ip... at home (in the viewer, you need to enter the office computer's WAN IP and the port... i.e. xxx.xxx.xxx.xx:5900

- Matthew Montalto
matt@mattmontalto.com

How about this one. I'm trying to connect via VNC from my home machine to my work machine via VPN. I can get all the way onto my work laptop adn see the screen (sproatically) but can never open folders. It seems like the screen doesn't refresh. Eventually it times out adn then kicks me off. Any suggestions? I can supply more info if need be.

In a LAN setting, witn XP Home + Win-2000 (laptop, not always on the network) + Windows 98 machines, can I get any kind of name service easily so VNC will use names?

e.g. will NETBIOS over TCP do anything?

Try testing between 2 computers at home (in the same lan) before trying to solve a bigger problem with port forwarding. Note: vnc works with either static or dynamic ip addresses. The only quirk I've seen is that I had the "failed to get server address" when I tried from going from one machine to the other, but then reversed the relationship and everything works fine (using ip addresses). I resolved my problem, "in the other direction" so to speak, by adding an entry in the /etc/host file of the machine that gave me the error.

Another thing you can try, at least with the ultravnc version, is to use the viewer/listner mode. This in a sense allows the server to reverse connect to the client (you would run viewer/listner mode on the client machine).

This business about ip address ranges and subnet masks (that appears in this thread) is not valid and confuses the real issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back