Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Canon Camera + Windows XP Problems - Won't install

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorberg321

Technical User
Apr 29, 2007
US
Hey ,
I'm having a lot of trouble capturing video off of my new camera: The Canon XH-A1. Whenever I connect the camera through my firewire cable, it gives me a message about 'new hardware' AV/C Subunit or something like that. This is strange because I thought XP would install the hardware automatically.

I read a forum that said that I needed to put some drivers in a directory. I went and looked for the things in the Windows SP2.cab, found 'em and copied them to my desktop. I tried to insert them into my windows/system32/drivers directory manually. They were already there, so I didn't copy them in.
The drivers were: avc.sys and avctrm.sys

Next, I plugged the camera back in, and chose install new hardware. I said install from a specific location, and it gave me a list of devices. I chose AVC Device Class - then it took me to a subcategory which had two options: AVC Device or Virtual AVC device. I chose AVC device, and clicked okay. It brought up a warning that I shouldn't install this driver because it can't be verified that this is what is needed for the hardware and that it could cause problems with my computer. I said yes anyway, the hardware installed, but it said it has a problem. I tried the Virtual AVC device, and again, the same thing. I tried reinstalling Windows XP Service Pack 2, and it had no effect.

I found this:
The problem is that I looked for the two file names to change, and they were already changed. So I guess that's not going to work.

Still no capture in Premiere Pro, and XP is still not recognizing my camera when it is in HDV mode -- I decided to try to capture off of a friend's computer. I installed Premiere Pro 2.0, and the Canon HDV presets for Premiere Pro. I plugged the camera in with the firewire port. It recognized it instantly as a Canon HDV XH-A1. I opened premiere pro, and it captured the video fine. So there must be something missing in my drivers or something for XP - That's why I posted this in this section.

I could really use some help from someone. I don't know what to do. I've called Canon, they said it is a Windows problem. I tried Microsoft, nobody can tell me anything except that Canon should provide drivers. I checked on Canon's website, and they dont have drivers for this camera because XP should recognize it automatically. And that point was proven when I captured fine on my friends computer. I've looked through the manual, and it only tells me stuff about what to do to the camera. I've changed settings, but still nothing. Again, it has to be my computer because it works fine on my friends.

Can anyone help me? I would be so grateful!!

Check your WIA service aswell as your Plug'n'Play Service, if they are set to Manual or Automatic... in a RUN BOX (CMD window) type services.msc and hit return...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Ok, I checked both of those and they are set to automatic

Is your system up to date with Windows Updates?

Did the firewire work with a dfferent camera? On the same computer?

-David
2006 & 2007 Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (MVP)
2006 Dell Certified System Professional (CSP)

Yeah, everything is up to date. I even installed SP2 again to make sure. I've checked for updates numerous times, and none have been released that I don't have.

The firewire works fine with another minidv camcorder that I have. It captures normally.

Is there some kind of folder or drivers or something that I could copy from my friend's computer to mine?

Anything in the Bios that could be causing this problem?

You could try and let them scan your machine to see if there are better drivers available.

I don't think there's anything in the bios that could be causing a problem -- but I'll run that Driver Scan and see if anything comes up -- I'll post the results

Ok, I ran the scan and it didn't come up with anything pertaining to the camera. I guess I haven't installed the drivers for my monitors, and my drivers for my Audio are out of date.

I tried again, this time with the camera plugged in, and still nothing. When I plug the camera in, I still get:

FOUND NEW HARDWARE:
AV/C Subunit

Then it asks me to jump through the same hoops as the last couple of times, except it never works. Is there a chance I could copy some file or folder from my friend's computer to mine to make it work?

I have had similar problems with my canon video on my 4½ year old computer. Does the on/off switch have several settings (camera/off/play/network). If so it needs to be set to network for the firewire to detect. As for USB, I've never got it to work. I think it has to be run through the DV messenger, although there is a USB DV driver update available on canon's website.
At the moment, I have to play back a tape through my sons computer, because it picks up the camera through firewire no problem. To get dv and stills off the sd card, we plug it into my sons camera to download onto a computer (but that's only because we haven't got a reader)

I suppose the only files that might be worth copying from your friends computer would be those listed on the Device Manager, Properties, Driver File Details.

You could also try running the System File checker by typing SFC /Scannow in the Start Run box and having your XP CD ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back