Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot print via Terminal Services on Windows 98 Client 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pingthis

IS-IT--Management
Apr 2, 2002
US
Having problems with printer mapping/detection on a Windows 98 client. None of the Q articles published by MS seem to address this. Does anyone know a workaround? It does not see the local printer and also if I try to add a printer, it does not see the TS session I am on to choose that port.

Is the printer configured with TCP/IP or standard local pc? Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional

"Things are not always as they seem;
the first appearance deceives many."
Phaedrus (15BC - 50AD) Roman poet, short-story writer

It is a local printer directly connected to the LPT1. Any ideas?

Is this pc in a different building? Can you access it using something like VNC? Glen A. Johnson

This is happening with all Non-W2K clients for our W2K TS. They are all remote clients. VNC?

VNC is a free download from ATT. Search google for vnc. What this does is allows you remote access to all pc's running it. It comes with 2 main parts. Client and admin. I've installed this on all my pc's on my network and put it in the start up. If a user calls me up and says he has a problem, I then use the vnc to remotely access his pc and fix the problem. It's like TS, but you don't create a new logon, you're seeing what the user sees. Glen A. Johnson

Thanks for the VNC info! I will definitely make use of that. But I've been at their desktop and not been able to print at all or have it recognize the printer even exists.

So, if you're sitting in front of the machine locally, there is no printer? (One thing about VNC, you need a fairly high resolution on your screen that you connect to). Glen A. Johnson

If I sit at the local PC and use local apps, I can see and print to the printer. However if I logon to TS and launch a TS based app, there is no printer seen by the server and if I go into add remove printers and try to map one back to myself, it does not see it.

Have you tried to add it, and call it a networked printer instead of a local? Glen A. Johnson

In order to map local printers via terminal service, you must have the printer drivers and printer installed locally on the terminal server.

Example: If you have a printer that is connected locally to your win98 computer, install the NT/2000 drivers on your terminal server and configure a new printer connected to LPT1 just as if the printer were actually connected to the server.

Now when you connect with your 98 machine, the terminal client should automatically redirect the port to your local printer port on connection and release the port on disconnect/log off.

Also, unless you use a Citrix client to connect to the terminal server, you will not be able to redirect or access your local drives or use any sound options while logged in via. terminal client (i.e. share files between terminal session and local computer or new mail notification sounds etc...) Just in case you were wondering :)

Thanks GndPrx, but already did that. Works great for the other 2K workstations/clients but again, only the 98s are not mapping properly to teh same physical printers... The 2k workstations and 98 workstations are using the same types of printer but the 98s workstations are the only ones it is not working for...

Try static mappings using net use. I had to do that with some old dos base programs while converting over to a W2K network from Novell. Put it in startup and it loads when they log on. Glen A. Johnson

"Curiosity is one of the most permanent
and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect."
Samuel Johnson (1709-84); English author.

The printer is physically on LPT1. So I'm not quite sure what you want me to map it to with the net use command. But I have done that also with W2K PCs which don't have local printers and that works beautifully. But again just having problems with Win98 boxes.

Terminal services is well known for its printer issues and lack of reliability, the best slution I have found is to be either a citrix client or pocket print servers on each printer and then set them up as network printers, the easiest ones are the SOHO ware print servers, truely plug n play, I use them in one of the LA County Hospitals, they work fine and encompass the entire campus.

blkdawn-

Can you tell me more about the pocket print servers or point me to a URL? I tried to talk them into the Citrix server but their nixed that idea due to costs.

I meant net use from the other pc. Glen A. Johnson

"Curiosity is one of the most permanent
and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect."
Samuel Johnson (1709-84); English author.

Try naming the printer the same as the name of the printer installed on the TS.

Example: open printer box TS, look at the name given to the printer, Open printer box on 98 PC's name the printer the same (exactly) spaces, case sensitive, ect.

I run a VPN connection from the Win98 machine into the Terminal Server. Inside your terminal server session you can then go out and add network printer that is actually on your Win98 machine.
So on your Win98 machine share your printer so you will be able to see it when you add a network printer.
To map to it you will use a command like this;

Win98 being your machines name
Printer being the share name of your printer
EX: net use Lpt1: \\win98\printer

This works great for a workaround I use it all the time.

Pingthis,

The print servers I use are SOHOWARE, its called the plug-n-print, the site is sohoware.com, they generally run about 65 to 70 bux each and can be found at most distribution locations for pc and networking gear. hope that helps,

contact.......blkdawn007@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back