Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot ping XP workstation 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jatkinson

Technical User
Nov 14, 2001
GB
I've done everything I can think of, looked through loads of forums and googled for hours but I cannot find a solution to my problem.

A few weeks ago I noticed I could no longer access shared drives on an XP workstation in my 2k domain. I investigated a found I couldn't even get the workstation trough My Network Places although it is listed.

I can't even ping the workstation via it's name OR by IP address. I can however ping othere workstations and servers from the XP workstation.

I have checked all DNS settings.
I have checked domain membership for the workstation
I have checked DHCP
I have checked TCP/IP/WINS/NetBIOS settings
The XP firewall is off
There is a software firewall on the workstation but it has been disabled. It was previously set to allow ICMP packets though.
The workstation is patched completely up to date and has been thoroughly virus scanned.

I'm sure the fact I cannot ping nor access the workstation through My Network Places are related but I don't know what else to try.

I've checked routing tables, used tracert, pathping, nbtstat etc and I can't seen anything out of the ordinary.

Anybody any ideas?

Regards

jatkinson

however I still cannot ping it nor access it from My Network Places on another device.

. Does it appear in Network Neighborhood on itself?
. Does it appear in Network Neighborhood on others?

Check that the Domain name is correct, and that Netbios over TCP/IP is enabled under TCP/IP Properties, Advanced, WINS tab.

If it appears, what error message do you receive when you try to access its shares?

If you look in the Event Viewer on the problem workstation, is there anything network related shown as an error? Similarly, on the server, is there anything in Event Viewer?

Yes to both questions.

I've checked and double-checked domain name, even removing the machine into it's own workgroup before adding it back to the domain. Netbios over TCP/IP is enabled

Error:
----------------------------------------
\\MACHINE is not accesible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator............

The network path was not found.
----------------------------------------

I figure the most important bit of this error is the "The network path was not found" as this seems to tie into the fact I cannot ping the machine. I've checked DNS and WINS settings too and the machine is listed in DNS with the correct name and IP address.

I can't see any errors in the server logs. However I'm at a remote site at present so cannot access the workstation to check it's Event Viewer.

With regard to the router and firewall etc post.

There is no firewall on the XP workstation any more so it would have to be a remnant setting. Not sure where to start there so will have to do some further investigating.

It could be down to the router but I discounted this as I cannot see anything in it's settings to do this and indeed the other devices on the LAN are connected via the 4-port switch built into the router so I'd assume that I wouldn't be able to ping anything else that was connected.

. Is the Computer Browser service started? It should be. Start, Run, services.msc to check.

. Is Netbios over TCP/IP enabled in the Advanced, WINS tab, property sheet for all Workstations? Do not use the Default setting here, explicitly enable the setting.

. For the results from IPCONFIG /all for the problem machine, what is the value for "Node Type"?

1. Yes the computer browser service is started.
2. Netbios is configured as per your post
3. I can't recall, I'll check when I return home.

Thanks again for your continued help

To confirm, the Node Type is set to Hybrid.

Cheers

Followed everything through I could find relevant. Good site by the way full of good info but I still can't trace the problem.

It's so annoying.

I dont know if you have checked this but it maybe as simple as enabling file and printer sharing, you could also uninstall tcp/ip and reinstall and see how you get on.

Hi johnway

Thanks for posting. Unfortunately I've checked both of these.

I was going to give up and move the 2nd HDD I use for my file shares into another machine, unfortunately it's a SATA drive and the other machines only support EIDE so stuffed there too.

you could try modifying the host file, add in static entries for the domain controller,and the file and print and other machines you want access to,its a pain in the backside but it should get you out, failing that then id say a rebuild of your O.S. is needed.

I can get out to the other machines, I can't get to this one from any others which is the problem.

Did you ever try this from "way back"?

Just an idea to help you discover whether it is a software or hardware problem.

If you can access the machine running this version of XP it would suggest a settings or software problem. If you can't access it, it may be it is a hardware problem.

Something else along the same lines.

266465 - HOW TO: Perform a Parallel Installation of Windows 2000

You can do the same with XP. Don't install any unnecessary programs, just keep the parallel installation as simple as possible.

Have you checked to see that all wiring in the back of your computer is the same as it was when it worked? I noticed that some cable modem run a couple of wires and if one is disconnected the DNS servers appears to be broke.

Mark Stewart
Senior Analyst
Consultants Club Corp.
Windsor, Ontario
Canada

Checked and double checked all cabling. I'm looking to find some time to investigate Linney's links.

Thanks.

I have to know how this turned out........this thread is awesome. Anyone know?

I'd agree with you bcastner, but there is no evidence of a firewall being there anymore.

It has frustrated me so much of late I haven't done anything further with it. Hopefully I'll be able to carry on the 'fight' this weekend. [sad]

Thank you guys . I just registered today and have the exactly the same problem as jatkinson. Only grace, I know how this problem started. I have 4 laptops(A,B,C,D all with windows XP home) connected to a switch(no router) sharing broadband through A. All worked fine until I removed one Laptop(C), connected another laptop(E) in place , ran the XP home network setup wizard on E and tried to transfer files.

That didnt work.After a bit of fight,I replaced laptop C again. And thats the point I started getting exactly the SAME problem as JATKINSON on C and havent resolved it as yet since a month.

Hope this information can help troubleshoot.

Seems I may owe you a dollar afterall bcastner!!

Having struggled with this problem for ages I had given up. That is until I tried to use the Cisco VPN Client to connect into the office and realised that it had become corrupt and needed re-installing. I then thought, you guessed it Cisco VPN Firewall !!

I couldn't uninstall Cisco VPN software for some reason until I had removed the hardware from device manager. After removing the softare and rebooting I checked Network Places on my other machines and I can now access the XP workstation shares again!!!! [2thumbsup]

Other than a .NET framework SP1 update I ran just before I haven't done anything to the workstation other than remove the Cisco VPN client, so I'm happy to conclude that this was causing the problem all along.

That is unless someone can categorically suggest otherwise [wink]

Thanks again

jatkinson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back