Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot ping XP workstation 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jatkinson

Technical User
Nov 14, 2001
GB
I've done everything I can think of, looked through loads of forums and googled for hours but I cannot find a solution to my problem.

A few weeks ago I noticed I could no longer access shared drives on an XP workstation in my 2k domain. I investigated a found I couldn't even get the workstation trough My Network Places although it is listed.

I can't even ping the workstation via it's name OR by IP address. I can however ping othere workstations and servers from the XP workstation.

I have checked all DNS settings.
I have checked domain membership for the workstation
I have checked DHCP
I have checked TCP/IP/WINS/NetBIOS settings
The XP firewall is off
There is a software firewall on the workstation but it has been disabled. It was previously set to allow ICMP packets though.
The workstation is patched completely up to date and has been thoroughly virus scanned.

I'm sure the fact I cannot ping nor access the workstation through My Network Places are related but I don't know what else to try.

I've checked routing tables, used tracert, pathping, nbtstat etc and I can't seen anything out of the ordinary.

Anybody any ideas?

Regards

jatkinson

Give the dollar to your favorite Christmas charity.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back