Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot open Add/Remove programs and cannot view internet pages...

Status
Not open for further replies.

2p

Technical User
Nov 11, 2002
US
Hello,
I have an IBM or Dell 400MHz CPU, 128mb RAm, 3.8GB hard drive, on board video, on board audio, 2-usb ports, network interface card(NIC) I purchased this computer from a newsletter ad. When I turned it on to check it out, the Windows 2000 Pro was half way loaded, so click next, next, next to finish the W2K installation and I never entered any passwords. The computer works fine, I am able to use Microsoft Office 97 programs and so on.
I installed AOL 9.0 to visit the web, but I am only able to visit AOL main page. I cannot see any other pages or links. We troubleshoot with AOL tech support and found out that the problem is with the computer's software.
This computer was part of a network, in a office environment, I installed a modem which works fine!
My question is how do I open Add/Remove program? I thought maybe I needed to check the User and Passwords icon and I have noticed that the box is uncheck for "User must enter a user name and password to use the this computer" I also see
under User Name:Admintrator, Guest and User, and under Group: Admnistrators, Guests and Users. I think I may have changed, now, the last two settings(Guest and User)
Please let me what I need to reconfigure or to do to default Windows 200 Pro to normal settings where I can open Add/Remove programs and consequently visit the web.
Thank you very much,
ED

Backup any data.
Write down any and all user names.

Enable the option "Users must enter a user name and password to use the this computer"

Reboot, login as administrator, try it with no password. If it won't accept it, call the guy you bought it from, ask him what password he typed during the setup. Try add/remove programs again.

Matt J.

P.S. Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Hi Matt,
I placed a check mark in the box next to "User must enter a user name and password to use this computer"
I rebooted the computer and ran into:
"Log On To Windows
Enter your User ID
User name:Administrator
Password________________" I left the Password blank and click OK. My fingers ran to Add/Remove Programs and double clicked on the icon, and I still cannot open Add/Remove programs.
Do you have any other suggestions besides contacting the previous owner because I do not have a way to know.
Thank you,
ED

Personally, I would format and reinstall.

Matt J.

P.S. Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Must be a way in Windows 2000 Pro to open Add/Remove Programs without reformatting the hard drive.
However, if there is no such solution, I will format the hard as last resource.
Ed

Well I tried the KB article 32896 and it didnt work. So they sent me to another kb article which was 292175. This article shows you how to do an in-place upgrade. I did it and it WORKED!!!! So give it a try and I hope it works for you also.

Malik

P.S. PLEASE BACK UP!!! I forgot to back up and was holding my breath all the way through the upgrade...LOL

Malik, thank you very much for your concern and for providing a solution to my previuos question,"Cannot open Add/Remove programs and cannot view Internet pages"
As you recommemded, I visited the Microsoft links and saved said articles for future reference. Unfortunately, I formatted the hard drive and intalled Windows 98SE several weeks ago because I did have any other alternative during that time.

Regards,
Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back