Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot make outgoing calls in an IP Offive V406 CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adillo303

Technical User
Mar 29, 2010
US
I have an IP Office with two modules 406 cpu and an ip 400 digital station 16 port. The system has two 4 port analog trunk modules internally. There are two companies sharing the system.
Company one has three incoming lines and up to two weeks ago, company tow had four incoming lines. Everything was working.

Ownership of company two changed and the new owner cut three of the incoming lines reducing their oncoming pool to one line. There are about 12 extensions using these lines. It is a Psychiatrist's
office, schedules stagger and there is not often a full staff in the office. I was not told of these changes in advance. I went in and took all the deleted lines out of service. I am told that certain
people are unable to make calls outbound. I am told that inbound calls are possible, but , intermittent.

Company one is working as it always has with no problems.

I have not seen any phone system with only one line attached to it. I suspect that any phone active of most any kind would seize the line and nothing else would go in or out. I have advised the
customer to add trunk lines. She is so far refusing.

My questions are these - Has any one ever seen a working IP office with only one line? I only took the lines out of service, suspecting that she would add them back based on performance. would
removing the lines for the configuration entirely make things better?

Thank you very much for your time. Andy

Has any one ever seen a working IP office with only one line?

Yes. I have an IP Office installed with no lines and 1 extension!

This problem is related to an ARS table, user short codes and line trunk groups.
1) Company two's line need to be in an separate incoming and outgoing group id under line settings.
2) Company two's users need to be in their own user rights group with a short code ?/dial/ars form company two (see tenant2 below)
3) Under the ars form (e.g. call it tenant2) for company two's users they need to dial out using the group id of company two's lines.

Poopy bubbles!

First off - manners - Thank you very much

Company one and company two have separate Ars config.

What I did not do (and it seems I should have) is to pull the dead lines from the outgoing call group for company two. I did set the lines out of service, seems that was not enough.

Each company had separate incoming and outgoing call groups.

I will check user rights.

Thank you again. I greatly appreciate your help. Andy

oos should be enough.
What may have happened is that one or two of the lines is set to incoming only.

Poopy bubbles!

one line

Any one on an external call & they will get no inbound calls & no -one will be able to dial out.

This customer would be better served simply bu connecting an analogu ext direct to his line.

Perhaps you should tell him to get his head tested ;-)

A Maintenance contract is essential, not a Luxury.
Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

1 line is silly....

But, I have seen on a few occasions that setting an analogue line to OOS does not stop the system using it, you have to change the outgoing line group, not sure if it's release specific but I always do both now anyway :)

I agree with everyone that said that one line is not the way to go. This is the new owner of a Psych practice that is trying to cut every dollar that she can. This is not the way to do it. Since the practice is a long time customer, I am just trying to get it working as well as it can so that she can discover for self that with a working system, the concept is wrong.

Would anyone venture a guess if SIP trunks would be less expensive.

Decent SIP trunks are typically about a third the cost of an analogue line (here anyway), but if their broadband sucks or is shared with their general browsing/work traffic you'll have issues :)

Cutting costs by disabling the ability for customers to contact you is one of the fastest ways to liquidation known to business.

I wonder what a paranoid Schizophrenic thinks when the line is engaged every time they try to call someone.

At least they wont have easy access to firearms, oh wait a minute...

A Maintenance contract is essential, not a Luxury.
Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

I am pretty sure that I can resolve the immediate issue from what you all have told me. Thank you very mugh.

At the moment, I can only e-Mail my contact as she is out of the country and has said that she does not want to deal with this till she gets back.

In the face of that, I don't know what to say.

I will check back with you when I know something.

Thank You

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back