Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot find Logon Point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toad21

Technical User
May 20, 2002
US
I have sms setup on a BDC with windows NT server 4.0 sp6a. I have the one subnet i am on defined, CAP enabled, Remote logon service enabled, and i can see the server on the network. Yet whenever i try to run smsman.exe it says "cannot find logon point". I even run smsman on the SMS server itself, and it cannot see the logon point. Yet when i ran the network discovery, i can now see all the DCs, and 2 computers are installed as clients. I dont want to use the logon discovery option, so how do i get smsman to work? Thanks in advance, TT

Ok I just checked the SMS server, and there is no SMSlogon folder at all. WTH, this should have been created when it was installed. Can someone tell me how to create this folder and what to put in it?

I'm using SMS 2.0 with windows 2000 advanced server sql 7.0 install your sp4's and dont check any on the network logon you must have PDC & BDC will auto install as logon points you cannot alter that 1.2 you can. Windows 2000 you must be aware of your permissions and that they are set properly for the domain admin's SMSService, SMSClient and SMSServer also always check your inherited permissions manually to sub directorys. Plus reinstall the service packs several time if neccesary

I'm using SMS 2.0 with windows 2000 advanced server sql 7.0 install your sp4's and dont check any else on site system tabs, you must install network logon it enables logon points for the PDC's & BDC's which will auto install as logon points you cannot alter this in 2.0 but 1.2 you can. Windows 2000 you must be aware of your permissions and that they are set properly for the domain admin's SMSService, SMSClient and SMSServer also always check your inherited permissions manually to sub directorys. Plus reinstall the service packs several time if neccesary

Yes but I have already set the auto install, and in the manuals troubleshooting section, it says that smslogon needs to be a folder on the sms server for a Logon Point to be establihed. Would someone find this folder on there sms server and tell me what is in it? I am using sms 2.0 sp2, and origanally installed the MSDN copy.

Ok, finally after a full week of nothing working, one of the BDC's on another domain finally was installed as a LOGON point. I then copied the SMSlogon folder from that BDC to my central site and shared it out, and now SMSman works. So basically I just waited a full week until Remote Install Agent finally installed a logon point somewhere else so i could finally recognize my clients. Weird, yes. What helped me the most was "Administering SMS" book, the only SMS book with a Troubleshooting section. I didnt buy it either, you can find it at your library.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back