Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can we HIDE a page footer? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoffeeManOhYesIAm

Technical User
Feb 17, 2005
US
Greetings everyone:

Is it possible to conditionally hide a page header/footer?

I have successfully suppressed my footer (ref. thread767-1055582), but cannot reclaim the space (1.125 in.) at the bottom of the page that was allocated for it.

I am using Crystal 8.5.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

-Geo

Click on File->Page Setup and reduce the size of the top and bottom margin.

-LW

Thanks for your reply kskid,

But can I do this conditionally in a formula?

Let me give you some particulars about my problem...

I have an image database containing jpegs that I want to print on a special details section of my report (for more details on the report structure, see thread767-1055582).

I would like to use as much of the 8.5 x 11 in layout as I can. However, my page header and page footer are encroaching on my available space. I've been able to suppress the footer, but not able to use its allocated space in my Details D section.

The other sections of my report must have the page header and footer depending on the contents/purposes of the sections. So I need to be able to not only suppress the page header/footer from time to time, but also to use the parts of the page they were showing up in for a larger (8 x 10.5 in) details section.

Is it possible to perform this type of reformatting in a formula?

You can conditionally suppress your page footer, and additionally check the "Reserve Minimum Page Footer" checkbox which will salvage the space reserved for the page footer for the report area.

However, I'm not sure if this was introduced in v8.5 or v9. If you don't have the "Reserve Minimum Page Footer" checkbox in your Section Expert area, then you won't be able to conditionally hide your page footer.

Naith

Naith,
thanks for your response. I think i've seen that check box, but haven't known what it's for. I'll give it a try, thanks!

If my understanding is correct, that checkbox applies only when you have multiple page footer section. It results in "reserving" enough space for the tallest section, so this would not solve the issue for you.

I wonder if playing with "Underlay Following Section" option would provide a solution.

Cheers,
- Ido

Visual CUT & DataLink Viewer:
view, e-mail, export, burst, distribute, and schedule Crystal Reports.

Ido, that's a good call. I didn't realise you couldn't use the page footer reserve without multiple sections.

If the underlaying suggestion doesn't work out for you, perhaps you might think about forcing your page footer to a constant minimal height, and incorporating a group field which resets once every page, enabling you to replace your page footer with your group footer. You may be able to reclaim your report area space by conditionally suppressing this section.

Sorry about the misinformation earlier. I haven't access to Crystal to test.

Naith

hmm, group footers? I hadn't thought of that! Thanks, Naith, I'll give it a shot.

Er, the checkbox thingy didn't do anything, so it looks like IdoMillet is correct. But thanks anyway for the suggestions!
[cheers]

-Geo

My thanks to everyone for all their helpful suggestions. Even those that didn't work, they helped me to "think around the corner".

I finally solved the problem of reclaiming the space by using a Group Footer instead of a page footer (thanks Naith) and a few fancy bits of suppression.

Cheers,

-Geo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back