Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can Not Restart Windows Xp Disabled Win Services 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorthaShot

Technical User
Jan 13, 2007
US
While playing where i should have Not Been i disabled something in administrator tools services, i now have no tool bar among other things and can no longer start them back up. (log on as admin while i did this)

Any way to get back what i once had with out reinstall of xp pro sp2

Thank You.

If you try CTRL+ALT+DEL does it open taskmanager?
If so file new task (Run) and type in services.msc
If it will open then set the service back to automatic and then start the service.

There should also be the SC.EXE available from a command prompt which allows you to change the configuration of a service. An example would be

sc.exe config Messenger start= auto
net start Messenger

You would change the service name you want to start.

Taskmanager does open with CTRL+ALT+DEL.after i click taskmanager forgot to say this it xp pro Sorry.

can not set back to auto or other greyed out.

Tryed sc.exe Messenger start=auto net start Messenger still disabled as so are the others that are disabled

also in Services at the bottom their is two tabs, 1 is Extended, 2 is Standard. nothing in Extended just Standard

Thank You.

hi

Since you have disabled few services you can get it back by doing "system restore".

I think this should fix the issue.

Ok this is what you have going

remove the harddrive from the system and slave it to a computer that has a good antivirus software

scan the make the system files visible and scan the complete disk

there is a new breed of Trojan/virus/spyware out there that first disables all spyware removal/antivirus software then shuts down most if not all services in the computer

it is or is real close to being a root kit type Trojan

it has its own protection scheme and the more you try to remove it. it makes the windows unbootable....you also can not go into safe mode and if you do it makes things worse

I have seen this bug mostly in the gamer community it hit about 4 of my friends that are heavy gamers...
I have my own computer repair business so yes I have seen this bug
it even hit me and I was well protected
but,
I have good backup and I did not lose anything

I have tried to remove it and found the best bet is to start over on another drive and just load the old data you don't want to lose from the old drive that is now slaved

the bug does not transfer on the normal data....but if you copy the piece of software that had the bug and you run it on the new setup you will reinfect yourself

you should be able to copy the data you want and then zero out the drive that includes zeroing out the MBR with this bug if you just format and reinstall windows it will come back
a portion of this bug resides in the MBR and is immune to the fixmbr command as it sits in the higher data sector of the boot record and windows does not touch that area

I know this is bad news and what you don't want to hear

I spent days and did repair/reinstalls and you name it in antivirus and spyware search...after that I concluded it is too hard to mess with this bug

just to note if you have to zero the MBR you will lose all data on the drive

No Virus. i changed them to disable can't change them back.

But thanks

The Blackviper site is still down but major geeks has a bunch of the registry edits from that site and one if the tweaks is to reset the services back to defaults.
The download from that site includes a few registry tweaks, looking at them the one that looks like it should work is
AllServicesAuto

You can look at the registry edit and if you want then manually edit the registry at that key and see if you can change the value yourself.

firewolfrl,

Does this "Super Bug" have a name or some further "linked to" information?

WorthaShot,

Do you have any access from Safe Mode and using the Built-in Administrator? The Administrator account is the one you use when you first set up a workstation or member server. You use this account before you create an account for yourself. The Administrator account is a member of the Administrators group on the workstation or member server.

The Administrator account can never be deleted, disabled, or removed from the Administrators local group, ensuring that you never lock yourself out of the computer by deleting or disabling all the administrative accounts. This feature sets the Administrator account apart from other members of the Administrators local group.

Can you try System Restore from Safe Mode?

811151 - How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile

Error Message: Windows Cannot Load Your Profile Because It May Be Corrupted (Q318011)

How To Reset Security Settings Back to the Defaults

This talks abot an Admin Lockout.

How to launch reg file
thread779-1040119

I'm trying to follow what's happening here, before we head off on too many tangents and make assumptions that aren't quite right.

WorthaShot, does "i now have no tool bar among other things " mean that there is no Windows taskbar? Do you have destop icons? When you open taskmanager, is Explorer.exe running?

Linney, I never did look real hard for the name of the bug...but it is a program that you have to click on that is downloaded from the likes of emule and other file shares

my friend had me look and I usually isolate the run in a copy of a virtual drive.... LOL....for some reason that day I totally lost all sense of reason and lacked a conciderable amount of common sense and clicked on the patch.exe for the game I was looking at with my friend
and boy did it snowball on me....lessons learned....even when my friend was in the room and I should have been paying attention....lol

I never did look for a name because had a 1 day old running backup clone of my drive...so I just isolated the drive and and played with it to see what was done....as programs go it is quite the piece of software. using a hex editor I can see it in the boot sector ( all my other drives are fine)
it first sets all the services to disabled then deletes antivirus and spyware removel software I have not looked real hard into it since then.....

My reply did i not post..?

Anyway, safemode does no good, system restore not available,
two users both have admin privileges.
one user does not have toolbar other does, both have desktop icons.

did get some services to start but not the plug and play service.
did sfc /scannow, no errors or bad protected win files

Thank You.

Event ID: 7000" or "Event ID: 7013" Error Message When You Attempt to Start a Service

Services permissions

Security Templates

What is showing in your Event Viewer?

Taskbar repair

If nothing works for you, you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Admin Lockout could this be why i can't set the plug and play service

Still can add users but they to have no taskbar.

can see how this could happen both users have the administrators rights or do they.
all this just by changeing some services Dam the Good luck
keeps coming don't it.

One thing is for shore i do not know.:(

Can you set other Services? What exact error messages are you seeing? What about the Event Viewer?

Plug and Play Service won't start

Are there any Dependencies (other Services) on your Services that aren't starting? See if you can check the Properties of Plug and Play.

In the Reg Key mentioned in the first link do you have a value called "DependOnService"?

Some services can be set but not others.

Configuration Manger: The plug and Play service or another required service is not availiable
is the error that pops up when trying to start Plug And Play and most others event viewer well all greek to me but have look..:)

When trying to do System Restore in safemode or normal this pops up> System Restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart your computer,and then run System Restore again<.

Is the System Restore Service running?

Reboot the machine, attempt to Start Plug and Play, then go to the Event Viewer and post Event ID and Source name for any errors since the reboot. Also post any other errors that seem to be consistently repeating of the last few days but ignore any caused by being in Safe Mode. You right-click on the error line to get further information.

Event Viewer will not let me right click.

"System Restore Services running "set to Automatic and can not be started.

If any help service packs from microsoft up are in one user account but not other

If any help service packs from microsoft up are in one user account but not other"

Not too sure what you mean by that?

As everything on your machine is falling to pieces why don't you backup your valuable data and either try a repair install or even a clean install of XP?

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

HOW TO: Partition and Format a Hard Disk in Windows XP (Q313348)

Read the paragraph,
"How to Partition and Format Your Hard Disk by Using Windows XP Setup."

Alternatively you can look at these.

An easy to follow recovery console description when unable to start computer due to corrupt registry.

This is a layman's version of Q307545 in simple language.

Then there is this.

SubInACL (SubInACL.exe)

This thread will give you an example of its use but some of the folder directories will have to be adapted to your system setup.

Not Getting a "Save As" dialog
thread779-962708

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back