Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I prevent num from displaying in Scientific Notation

Status
Not open for further replies.

roswald

Programmer
Jul 6, 2002
US
I need to display a number without having it converted to scientific notation because of it's size. Can someone tell me how to do this?

Thanks,

B

roswald

Can you explain? TRANSFORM() perhaps?

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

What range of values are speaking of? Is it a stored or computed value? (What field type?) VFP only handles so many digits in it's floatingpoint calculations, and if you need more you'll need a third party library to handle the bigger numbers.

Rick

mgagnon, rgbean,MikeLewis,
Thank you all for the input. Here is what I was doing wrong.
I would bring in a numeric field from a remote view and it would display just fine. The field was N(11,0) and the range was from 1 to 99,999,999,999.
I needed to convert to Char and pad to the left with '0' out to the 11th placeholder. Here was my formula...
RIGHT(REPLICATE('0',11)+ALLTRIM(STR(ndc_num)),11), which of course worked fine on numbers out to the 10th placeholder. What I was missing was in the STR() function where I needed to indicate the length and optionally the decimal places. Well I have been doing this program since 4am and I was getting kind of goofy. I'm sure you've been there.
Here is what the formula needed to look like...
RIGHT(REPLICATE('0',11)+ALLTRIM(STR(ndc_num,11,0)),11).
Live and learn, right?
I appreciate the three of you offering your assistance.

B

Hey Roswald,

FYI- this does the same thing and it is easier to type:

PADL(TRANSFORM(ndc_num),11,"0")

[smile]
Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back