Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I make sort order in a report dynamic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

juschuma

Programmer
Oct 23, 2002
US
I have a report that I want the user to be able to run from a form and select a sort order from a combo box.

Currently I use an If statement to check which value is chosen from the combo box.

I have 3 versions of the same report:

rpt_Test_SortByX
rpt_Test_SortByY
rpt_Test_SortByZ

So, based on the if statement in the Command Button click event, I call one of the three reports.

I have to believe that there's a better way of doing this. Can I make the sort order in the report dependant on the combo box choice on the form?

One thought was to have insert the selected value from the combo box into a temp table and include that temp table as a value in the query that builds the report. Then I could select that value from the sort box in the report.

Would this work or is there a better alternative?

Hi

In the On OPen Event of the report

Select Case Forms!MYForm!MyCombo
CAse 1
Me.OrderBY = MyField1
CAse 2
Me.OrderBy = MyField1
...etc
End Select
Me.OrderByOn = True Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
UK

Don't forget to disable any grouping or sort order in design view first or the above code wont do any thing...

Hope this helps...

--James junior1544@jmjpc.net
Life is change. To deny change is to deny life.

I need the grouping in the design view the report should look like this:

Division
Pacific
Vendor 1 $50
Vendor 2 $65
Northeast
Vendor 3 $72
Vendor 4 $35
Southeast
Vendor 5 $56
Vendor 6 $12
Vendor 7 $23

The report should be grouped by Division. That won't change. However, my sorting is either by Vendor Name or by Amount. That's the dynamic part I want.

I got it to work. Didn't need to disable any groupings.

One last question. How can I make it sort by either ascending or descending in this example?

Thanks.

I suppose you could run a query with the ORDER BY changed and then run a report that had no internal groupings. This would save the database engine from having to resort the underlying table for the report. The question I have is how did you get the report to sort in Pacific, Northeast, Southeast order (as P comes before N in the alphabet)? Is there a lookup on a numeric sort for the region name?

That was just a typo. It should be Northeast, Pacific, Southeast. As for the ASC and DESC, I just built that into the following command:

Me.OrderBy = Forms![frm_Results]![cbox_SortOrder] & " DESC"

I was hoping you had found a secret approach to this. I want to sort a report in Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter order!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back