Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can I have a drop down box in a form to find an excel file name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KHerm

Programmer
Jan 9, 2001
US
I'm needing to import excel spreadsheets into Access97. I have found a way to do it, but now I want a form to find the file I want to import.

Would I need some kind of drop down box in the form?

Right now I have most of the path name for the file in a module and I pass in the specific file name from the form, but I'd rather the user be able to find the file in the form.

Thanks for any help!

Ken

Hi

If the Excel Sheets to import are all in the same directory, then the esiest way to do this is to establish a list of file names (using the dir command, see help for syntax) using dir(*.xls), from this list populate a combobox, and allow the user to choose from the combo box.

If you need full scale browse capability as provided by windows and seen throughout the office suite, you need to call up the file open dialog box.

Regards

Ken Reay

How would you call up the FILE OPEN box? I tried using ActiveX control but it says it's not registered?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back