Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can Anyone "ReFox" my .FXP

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsteff

Technical User
May 22, 2003
US
All of our source code is gone, the invoices are due out, we cannot determine why a key file is generating an error 15.

The error message is generated on line 164

Can anyone help me by de-compiling the attached 8k .FXP ???

I would greatly appreciate your assistance.

Thanks.
Jeff

JSteff
Virginia

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=08106eb7-4d70-4cf8-b046-7abf748361df&file=CT1SETUP.FXP
While we are sympathetic to your problem, there are LEGAL considerations to be taken into account when considering decompilation of an application.

Since you do not seem to have the actual Source code files (PRG, SCX, etc. files), we have to question if you actually own the Source code and/or the Rights to the Source code for the application.

Perhaps, knowingly or not, you only purchased the rights to Run the application code that was developed elsewhere.

If you do not own the Source code, we, as developers ourselves who don't want to see OUR own applications 'hacked', are reluctant to consider assisting your 'Hack' of the code that you might not have sufficient Legal Rights to.

Have you contacted the developers of the application?

Alternatively, since this seems to be an OLD version of Foxpro code (FoxPro 2.6 for Windows), you might want to consider completely re-developing it from scratch in a current version of Visual Foxpro 9 or some other language - thereby ensuring that you indeed Own the Source code as well as the ability to Run it.

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

Thanks for the insight. I am not trying to hack anything, don't want to rip anyone off, the company that wrote the code 20+ years ago is long gone, there are no updates, I just got here. I am just trying to determine what table or index is being referenced on one line of code in a library of 600 programs. Once we get over this hump, we can start looking for an app to replace this one.

thanks.

JSteff
Virginia

Perhaps someone will come forward and offer to do the ReFox for you.
But if they do not you can always purchase your own copy at:
It is not cheap, but we had to 'bite the bullet' at one time.
Besides if this is a BUSINESS CRITICAL need, then businesses (large or small) should:
1. Honestly recognize the IMPORTANCE of the need.
2. Have funds within their budget (or the ability to come up with them) to handle the unexpected, but IMPORTANT things.

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

Does your application log errors? If so, then the log should tell you what you need to know without decompiling. Look for a file name with a DBF extension and a name that suggests errors.

Tamar

Jeff, there are several tables involved. I assume those with "CT" will be "Code Tables" these are usually small tables that have configuration (data drive) information in them.

The ones I see in your .FXP are:

Code Tables
CTIUSE
CTMAST
CTTRANS
CTTYPE
CTINCO

Data Tables
ARMAKE
ARCUST
ARKEYW
ARTAXT
ARADRS

TAXTYPE

There is an error routine called zErrortrap which captures line, program and the error, but not clear where (if anywhere) it is getting saved.

Also, there are some file paths that may be at issue:
C:\SVDBFV:\SV2CODE
Now, you're looking at Refox, but that may not be needed.
I see a reference to:
V:\SV2CODE\CT1SETUP.FXP
but also
V:\SV2CODE\CT1SETUPl.PRG

If that .PRG file is in that directory, it should be the source for the .FXP you're trying to unravel.

Best Regards,
Scott
ATS, CDCE, CTIA, CTDC

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, and no simpler."[hammer]

If the problem is a corrupt DBF table, you can search the web to find one of the free DBF repair tools.
Then you can:
1. First make copies of ALL of your DBF tables as a backup
2. Run the Fix tool on each one and then test your application to see if it is fixed.

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back