Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can a web service access a network drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstema

Programmer
May 6, 2001
US
I created a very simple web service which gives me an error if the dbf I'm using is on a network drive (g: is a mapped drive). The web service is working fine if the dbf is on c: drive (local).

Is there anything I can do to have it work with a mapped drive?

Thanks,
DS

Here is the the full error message I got:
Code:
Error: 1429 - OLE IDispatch exception code 0 from mywserv1.SBTData mywserv1.SBTData: .getdatacard c:\work\foxwebservice\mywserv1.prg Error in line 37 File 'g:\sbtpro\ardata\arlcrd05.dbf' does not exist. 1..
<detail><mserror:errorInfo xmlns:mserror="[URL unfurl="true"]http://schemas.microsoft.com/soap-toolkit/faultdetail/error/"><mserror:returnCode>1[/URL] : Incorrect function.
</mserror:returnCode><mserror:serverErrorInfo><mserror:description>.getdatacard c:\work\foxwebservice\mywserv1.prg Error in line 37 File 'g:\sbtpro\ardata\arlcrd05.dbf' does not exist. 1</mserror:description><mserror:source>mywserv1.SBTData mywserv1.SBTData</mserror:source></mserror:serverErrorInfo><mserror:callStack><mserror:callElement><mserror:component>WSDLOperation</mserror:component><mserror:description>Executing method GetDataCard failed</mserror:description><mserror:returnCode>-2147352567 : Exception occurred.
</mserror:returnCode></mserror:callElement><mserror:callElement><mserror:component>Server</mserror:component><mserror:description>An unanticipated error occurred during the processing of this request.</mserror:description><mserror:returnCode>-2147352567 : Exception occurred.
</mserror:returnCode></mserror:callElement></mserror:callStack></mserror:errorInfo></detail>

2 things I can think of as WAGs
1. The Web server does not have a drive map G: to the correct location.
2. The web Server does not have rights to the Data Base Location.

David W. Grewe Dave

Thanks for your reply.
1. I can access the g: drive from the computer (XP) I'm running the Web server (G: is mapped to a Novell Server )
2.I can open the file using VFP

Is there anything else I'm missing? This is my first attempt to use a fox web service.

You can, sure, but can the user inside the web service?

The anonymous user inside IIS (is that what you're using?) is usually called IUSR_<computername>, and likely has very limited access to your network.

You confirmed my thoughts. The web service is runnning under IWAM_<comp.name>. Can I do anything about it? Where I can ask this?

Can I do anything about it?

Sure you can! Give that user access to your LAN.

Your LAN admins will probably have fits about it. There are very good security reasons why that user is not allowed access to LAN resources. But it should be OK if they restrict it to just the data directory.

Where I can ask this?

Without knowing what network, and web server, you're running, I can't answer that. Where do you normally ask networking questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back