Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Callpilot with Exchange 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 11, 2005
US
Has anyone tried to get the local Callpilot store to be apart of the Exchange(2003)store? If so, how did you do it and is it a major hack(or headache)? I also have not been able to change the location of the local Callpiolt store to a shared drive. I have seen in the registry that CallPilot client uses AD type variables such as ou=users,ou=callpilot with port 389(LDAP). Is there a way to have the Callpilot server talk to an Excahnge server in the same way?

Any help or direction would be great.

Thanks,

Computerchris

Only way I know to make that work in Outlook is to use Outlook in Internet Mail Client mode. Kind of defeats the purpose of using Exchange though.

It is possible with Groupwise and Lotus Notes, but I've never tried it with Exchange.

Thanks for the reply biv343.

I have the Callpiolt software installed into Outlook just fine. I guess the real question is, how do you get the Callpilot store off the local pc and into the Exchange store? If you wanted to use OWA you cannot see the Callpilot store because it is located on the users PC. If you move to a different computer, same issue (such as TS users). Even a drive mapping on a network share will not work with OWA (obvious).

Any ideas?

Well, there's the drag and drop method of yanking the voicemails into the Exchange message store, but that's not very practical.

Not sure of any way around this. The CallPilot client integration is at the PC level, which is nice since Exchange doesn't even know the message store exists. There's a web messaging tool (My CallPilot) for the Meridian/Succession platform that does what you want it to do, but that doesn't work with the BCM platform.

Hopefully someone else will chirp in with some advice.

Could you create a Rule that would forward (and then delete) any received CallPilot messages to the Exchange account ?

The BCM does not forward via the rules. I think you will have problems trying to acheive this because the BCM is running as the exchange server for the callpilot.I have tried various rules in the past but none have been applied to the callpilot messages.

If you get anywhere let me know one of the big problems for me is customers would like some sort of alert audible or visual to indicate they have a new voicemail message. Other than the small red phone in the bottom right hand corner on there task bar.

Marshall

The CallPilot unified messaging feature is enabled in the email client as an IMAP account. IMAP is a retrieve only email protocol therefore none of the voicemails are actually stored locally.
I'm no Exchange wiz but it would stand to reason that some sort of IMAP connector would be needed to the CallPilot and an Exchange account with matching login credentials would be need ed to pull the mail out of the CallPilot.
I hear this request for Exchange integration constantly and have never heard of anyone rolling out an actual solution.
I would also be very interested in the solution.

I was under the impression that the messages get downloaded from the BCM to a local folder on the Client's PC (something like C:\Documents and Settings\Eduardo\callpilot.cst).

Checking the Email Accounts tab of Outlook, mine shows up as a MAPI account.

Is it really an IMAP in disguise ?

or

Are there more than one way to get messages out of Call Pilot?

Eduardo

The CallPilot is definately an IMAP server.
I suspect it might be possible to have an Exchange account collect voicemails from the CallPilot. By manually adding login credentials for the CallPilot mailbox IMAP credentials to the Exchange account.
And/Or by creating an Exchange IMAP connector.

I also found this information in the CallPilot documentation:
Configuring mail delivery folders for OutlookMicrosoft Outlook is automatically configured when you install Unified Messaging. By default, CallPilot messages are stored in a separate message store from the Outlook Inbox. Nortel Networks recommends that subscribers keep their CallPilot messages separate from their Outlook messages. By keeping CallPilot messages separate, it is easier to prioritize messages and identify message types.If the subscriber requests it, you can configure Outlook to store all incoming email and CallPilot messages in the CallPilot message store. Note: If you configure the email client to deliver messages to the CallPilot Inbox, all email messages are stored on the subscriber’s hard drive. After the message is delivered, the messages no longer resides on the Exchange server.To specify where to deliver e-mail messages
1. On the Outlook window, on the Tools menu click Services
or
if you use Outlook XP, open the Address Book, and on the Tools menu click Services.
The Services dialog box appears.
2. Click the Delivery tab.
3. From the Deliver new mail to the following location list, select CallPilot Transport and click the up arrow to move it to the top of the list.
4. Click the OK button.

Thanks for that great info aragon. I was trying to find an Exchange IMAP connector, but have not found it. Is this a 3rd party product or am I missing it on an Exchange CD? I thought about what you are saying about the login to the Callpilot server to pull the voicemails, where would you enter secondary credentials to login to the Callpilot server in an AD account? As far as changing the default delivery from Exchange to the local hard drive (CP store), that isn't going to work.

Thanks for all the replies. This is my first post here and all the great info and people on this site are sure to keep me here.

Computerchris

Thanks aragon. I saw that as well and wasn't sure if it would work. I downloaded the free 30-day trial and keep getting the same error message when it tries to connect. I can't find anything about this error, I'm not a master mail guy so if this is a imap issue I'm without a clue.

This is the error

Mail retrieval failed, reason: Error during imap communication at the SEARCH command. Error message from imap host: 3cc NO SEARCH failed: Can't search that criteria

Any one have a clue what that means?

Thanks for any help on this.

Computerchris

Okay - I'm going to wrap this up for everyone.

Q: Can a IMAP message be syncronized to an Exchange Server Mailbox/Account?
A: Yes, there are many scripts that you can download that will allow you to port over the messages to your INBOX, so you could see them there and with OWA when you are VPN'd in.

Q: If one was to get their messages syncronized to the Exchange INBOX, would I be able to listen to them?
A: NO! When messages are delivered to the desktop/IMAP/INBOX, they are not delivered in .WAV format, they are delivered in .VOX format, which can not be listened too with any standard Windows media player (i.e you require Nortel's media player to listen to the files).

Hope I have cleared this issue up.

This isn't a wrap...
People want to send their mail to their exchange server account for many reasons:
1. Rules defined for CallPilot mail store do not apply. Such as auto forwarding to Blackberry or any other external account.
2. Messages are not backed up as part of exchange database.

.VBK files in CallPilot message store are auto converted to .WAV files when forwarded to an EXTERNAL domain.

I think you might make some people happy if you could point them in the direction of the many scripts you mentioned.

I find your comments on the nortel audio format, automatically be changed to to .wav format, interesting. How would one go about doing that?

As for number one, I have an entire company (150+) people with Treo's, and every last one of them use the RULES within Outlook XP, to forward the messages to their Exchange Inbox. Never had a problem for over two years.

The Unified Messaging client has an option "Convert voice messages to WAV for non-CallPilot recipients". I believe that the message will only be converted to WAV when forwarding from the UM client.

Yeah Biv you are right about that one I got caught out on my first install with that one. The customer had 8 seat UM and asked if they forwarded to a email recipient with out UM would it work.Guess what it did after me saying you need the UM to play the file because it was in a different format.

Marshall

This explains why people say the forwarding rules in Outlook do not work. I do not believe you can define forwarding rules in the Nortel UM client. Also CallPilot only converts to .WAV (default setting) to EXTERNAL MAIL DOMAIN.
Therefore UM in CallPilot is not a very good implementation of Unified Messaging due to proprietary voicemail format and lack of forwarding support in Nortel UM client.

I understand your WRAP comments better now. You can forward your voicemail but without the CallPilot player installed you cannot listen to the messages.
External recipients can only listen to messages forwarded manually in UM client. Therefore all external recipients would have to have Callpilot player installed to listen to messages forwarded via Outlook script. This is not feasible. Ergo Nortel UM client implementation is half baked :(

I think mitelguy and biv343 deserve a * for laying this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back